[MAC] Stuttering Blu-ray video playback on Mac Mini with NVIDIA 9400 (not Crystal HD)
Davilla, has that been added in one of the nightly builds? I cant find it in the official. Also, i thought pbo was only an option with the broadcom, I wasnt aware u had any hw acceleration going on with the 9400 yet.
RckStr Wrote:Davilla, has that been added in one of the nightly builds? I cant find it in the official. Also, i thought pbo was only an option with the broadcom, I wasnt aware u had any hw acceleration going on with the 9400 yet.

pbo is not hw acceleration, it's using the GPU to DMA textures instead of CPU thus freeing up the CPU to do other things (like decode). It's been in svn trunk for many cycles now and also nightly builds for OSX. Not dependent on CrystalHD.
BlackstarBSP Wrote:I've tried it and on some you get a marginal improvement while sacrificing accurate playback. High detial / high motion scenes you get an almost 'slo-motion effect' that reports about half the amount of dropped frames as without it.

So, even with half the dropped frames, I don't consider it a real solution. I'd rather make a lower bitrate file with sharp detail and zero dropped frames while maintaining a true frames per second experience. But, this may bother some more than others, so as with all things: your milage may vary. Wink

Agreed. And after having watched some more h264 content perhaps I spoke a bit too soon. As you say, mileage varies and mine is that a setting of 32 gives me almost no dropped frames (or very few) at all on my system. But of course, dropping frames will affect the playback and I'm still seeing glitches on long, slow pans and fast action scenes, which admittedly is not great when watching it on a big TV! However, my personal experience is that it was massively better than the awful stuttering I was getting before...but not perfect. Seems like I've come full circle and a re-encoded file with a target average bitrate of around 15 - 20Mbps is the answer to give a good balance between smooth playback and decent quality that the Mac Mini can handle.

BTW, I also tried switching on the PBO's and this gave a marginal improvement, but nothing that you'll really notice unless you were watching closely - like I was! Thanks anyway, it all helps!
davilla Wrote:settings -> video -> video playback

davilla Wrote:It's been in svn trunk for many cycles now and also nightly builds for OSX.

Sorry, I don't use the svn trunk or nightly builds so it's not listed in my version. Which I believe is the current official release:

- Blackstar
BlackstarBSP Wrote:Sorry, I don't use the svn trunk or nightly builds so it's not listed in my version. Which I believe is the current official release

then you will not get the option, its only in post 9.11 builds.
TeknoJnky Wrote:then you will not get the option, its only in post 9.11 builds.

Funny, I thought I just said that. Cool
- Blackstar
BlackstarBSP Wrote:Funny, I thought I just said that. Cool

Funny, why don't you grab a nightly and try it--that's what davilla was suggesting Wink

I'm glad I trolled this forum, because I hadn't noticed it either--one thing if you do grab a nightly, check the audio section to make sure you change it according to your setup.
jayhawk785 Wrote:Funny, why don't you grab a nightly and try it--that's what davilla was suggesting Wink

I'm glad I trolled this forum, because I hadn't noticed it either--one thing if you do grab a nightly, check the audio section to make sure you change it according to your setup.

Nah, I prefer to stick to the stable releases. I already have to maintain 3 xbox's, 2 mac mini's and 1 MacBook and all their libraries. Not to mention every time I do try to experiment or use a new version I either run into issues or thetvdb.com picks that exact day to go down, or both. :p

Right now stable and consistent reliability is more important to me than the occasional dropped frame. Wink And right now XBMC is running pretty good.
(knock on wood).
- Blackstar

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Stuttering Blu-ray video playback on Mac Mini with NVIDIA 9400 (not Crystal HD)0