Instant Messaging notifications to and from XBMC between networked systems?
Question 
Hi all,

I've been wondering if there is any way to send a message between the computers on my network?

For example, if my wife is watching a show in the bedroom or lounge and I am in the office, I would love to send a message like... "Gotta restart the server, sorry babe!" or "Honey, could you get me a drink... pretty please!"

obviously there are numerous reasons why this would be cool. I have researched available options but I'm unable to find one that would come up on top of what she is watching.

Any ideas? Maybe this is something that could be considered for further builds.

Cheers,

VKNutt
---------
XBMC for Linux (running as Media Server), XBMC for Xbox (running in lounge via WiFi), XBMC for Windows (running in Office & Bedroom), XBMC Live (currently playing with WiFi config to run in bedroom)
It is probably fair to say that with these different configurations in each room... I piss my wife off a little! :no:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=WebServerHTTP-API

Look at either the broadcast options to send it to everything or the ExecBuiltIn(function), ie. http://xbox/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=Ex...N%20SYSTEM!))
Thanks for the quick response prae5.

I'll see how I go tonight... I'm a little confused but it'll probably make more sense when I'm sitting in front of it and actually giving it a go.

Cheers!
---------
XBMC for Linux (running as Media Server), XBMC for Xbox (running in lounge via WiFi), XBMC for Windows (running in Office & Bedroom), XBMC Live (currently playing with WiFi config to run in bedroom)
It is probably fair to say that with these different configurations in each room... I piss my wife off a little! :no:
"For example, if my wife is watching a show in the bedroom or lounge and I am in the office, I would love to send a message like... "Gotta restart the server, sorry babe!" or "Honey, could you get me a drink... pretty please!""

Shit dude - how big is your house? I find shouting normally solves this issue. Big Grin
hey snoop...

yeah... I used to find this pretty effective, but then we had kids. Shouting means no more sleeping... not a good thing.

Essentially I'm just too damn lazy to get off my butt and go to her! Laugh
---------
It is one of the things that support for xpl protocol (which I proposed) might allow:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67802

If XBMC supported osd.basic messages, the message would pop up right in the window.

Of course, this is just one application... You could have notifications for phone calls, doorbell, room temperature, sudden rainfall, etc.

Ideally, the communication would be two-way so you could see (if you want) on your computer what she started to watch. Or pause her movie until she gets that drink (but that would be mean!).

I am looking into how this could be implemented with HTTP-API, but of course native support would be best.
Hey JabberwockPL...

That would be cool.

I'm still quite confused about how to get the broadcast message to work. I reckon native messaging support (especially 2-way) would be a fantastic addon to an already brilliant program.

I may have to wait and see if this becomes a reality as I just can't get my head around it at the moment. And hey, maybe getting off my lazy butt to talk to the missus face to face isn't such a bad thing anyway... hmmm... but my chair is sooooo comfy...
---------

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Instant Messaging notifications to and from XBMC between networked systems?0