Clarification needed: H555 and STIr4200
Hay people,

All my research has dug up old and dead threads, so here is it:
- I've bought (7€) on ebay a IR Receiver which show up like this with 'lsusb':
ID 066f:4200 SigmaTel, Inc. STIr4200 IrDA Bridge
- Then I've bought a Harmony 555 remote control wich I did not received yet.

My plan, you guess it, is to use them with xbmc on an Ubuntu 9.04 installation.

So my questions, does someone know if those remote/receiver can be paired together ? Or, I hope not, must I buy a MCE receiver ?

Thx
Actually, I have the same setup, but with Harmony 700. After some reading, I've found that the STIr4200 device (found i.e. SigmaTel devices) IrDA/USB dongle is supported by Linux on driver level, but not by LIRC (http://www.lirc.org/). LIRC is support for high level IR (protocol) integration with applications. I am not sure what the status is, but it seems that *someone* needs to write LIRC support for the device. If some application would use the stir4200 device, then it must use low level integration with the driver (and I do not think XBMC does that - I may be wrong!).
guys, please stop buying any cheapo IR receivers you find on ebay: do yourself a favor and buy *true* MCE-compatible receivers. work out-of-the-box with LIRC, XBMC, Harmonys and MCE remotes. we've had a lot of recommendations in these forums. and as most of these are OEM left-overs from hong kong, they're not even expensive!
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
IrDA is not supported by lirc and is not used by remote controls. You need a CIR (consumer ir) IR adaptor.

By a MCE remote, they will come with a compatible receiver and don't normally costs any more. Use the mce receiver with your harmony remote.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Clarification needed: H555 and STIr42000