The best remote: no remote?
I have thought of that, however, the remote isn't capable of determining which 'mode' it is coming out of, as a partial result of no 2 way communication, so it doesn't know/can't be programmed which 'pause' code to send, if any. Sending all possible device 'pauses' results in unexpected things like units powering on, things already paused playing, etc...

I'd have to follow a different operation (keystrokes) depending on which device/activity was active and what was happening, which for me, fine, but my girl or my guests... not a chance...

Additionally, although you can turn this off globally (causing other problems), when you switch activities, other devices not used in that particular activity are turned off by the remote. This would mean you would need to add all devices, which by pressing the button would turn them all on...

The next issue is the remote codes are not specific to skype, they're universal (arrows and return), so if you press that activity in error, backing out is another cluster of fun....

It's an annoyance with no easy solution without CEC.

W.
TheRealWaldo Wrote:I have thought of that, however, the remote isn't capable of determining which 'mode' it is coming out of, as a partial result of no 2 way communication, so it doesn't know/can't be programmed which 'pause' code to send, if any. Sending all possible device 'pauses' results in unexpected things like units powering on, things already paused playing, etc...

I'd have to follow a different operation (keystrokes) depending on which device/activity was active and what was happening, which for me, fine, but my girl or my guests... not a chance...

Additionally, although you can turn this off globally (causing other problems), when you switch activities, other devices not used in that particular activity are turned off by the remote. This would mean you would need to add all devices, which by pressing the button would turn them all on...

The next issue is the remote codes are not specific to skype, they're universal (arrows and return), so if you press that activity in error, backing out is another cluster of fun....

It's an annoyance with no easy solution without CEC.

W.

Your example shows how people want features in XBMC when there is actually a solution available. Your harmony remote can solve your example already.

Push the "device" button instead of "activity" and you will get the remote-layout for that device without turning on/off devices (buttons can be tailored to match the buttons used in "activity")

If there was a HDMI-CEC option in XBMC my bet is that you would use the same amount of tinkering to get that work versus getting your harmony remote to do what you want it to do.

the girlfriend problem is universal to everything, a new or tailored system have to be learned in order to use it.

so...

What im trying to say is that HDMI-CEC involves alot of work to solve a problem that is already solved,
xbmc got limited resources due to the volunteerness of the project so implementations and features are carefully selected by the programmers that want them.
texaco Wrote:What im trying to say is that HDMI-CEC involves alot of work to solve a problem that is already solved,
xbmc got limited resources due to the volunteerness of the project so implementations and features are carefully selected by the programmers that want them.

I agree with this, except for the "carefully selected" part. Most coding is more selected on a haphazard basis. XBMC is open sourced. Anyone who wants to put his hand in is welcome to check out the code and make things happen. Even if none of the current coders can or will do it, it's always a possibility for someone who can figure it out.

I personally think this is a nifty idea. I've often been a fan of the "one remote to rule them all" mentality. I wonder how well this would work for those people who connect their computer via hdmi to a receiver, which then sends the video signal to the TV, but no matter what, I think the idea is a good one.

But I also think it's probably something you aren't going to see many devs interested in. jhsrennie might be a guy you could interest on the Windows side of remotes, but probably your best bet is to roll up the sleeves and see if you can't figure something out on your own.
The thread is a little bit old I just found it through Google.

Here is an example of how I use HDMI-CEC
First I don't have a harmony remote. I have a Samsung 7000 series and a PS3 slim. Through HDMI-CEC I can select the PS3 as a source from the remote. The PS3 powers on and I can navigate using the TV remote when I'm done I can go to the power off button and then I am back to the TV. Another cool thing is powering on the PS3 automatically switches the input to it so I don't have to do anything extra. It also configures the proper audio on the A/V receiver as it supports HDMI CEC too.

With the harmony I have to program it and put logic and events ...
HDMI-CEC works for the average consumer who does not want to go through all the trouble to get things to work. It would make absolute sense to have it in XBMC. So the TV remote controls XBMC as well. No need to buy extra remotes, no need for extra configuration, navigation is through the TV remote, it just works!
If someone knows a HTPC with HDMI-CEC please let me know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The best remote: no remote?0