• 5(current)
[REQUEST] Netflix 'Watch Now' plugin, script, or native code (with metadata scraper)?
any new news on this?
Would be nice to open a browser and start streaming, this would work for Windows and Mac users (who opt into Netflix Silverlight). The hard part of this would be scraping Netflix afaik.
Question 
So now that we have the ability to stream the "watch it now" movies from our Netflix cue of the 360, (which is a TOTAL rip off BTW). $50 a year for Gold to stream movies, puhleez!

How long before we get a script that will do it on XBMC?
It's apparently being done on Boxee, so not sure why it can't be done from XBMC.
OK i have seen a lot of stuff floating around the forum about using NetFlix with xbmc, but in all the threads its seems like there is still no concrete answer to whether it works or not, but it does seem to be a talked about possibility. now i have been looking into the NetFlix accounts and with the basic account $4.99/month you can get one disc in the mail month (so what) but the really cool part is you get access to all of their movies by stream for free with an account. now with that being said, my question is, is it possible to make a dedicated plug-in/script for viewing said streams? because 4.99 a month for unlimited access to 12,000+ movies is pretty good if you ask me. just thought I'd throw that idea out in case no one had thought about that possibility yet. well i hope this could work, because that opens up a whole new movies database for us all in much better quality than most of theses other plug-ins offer us. just a thought..... thanks for your time everyone.
Question 
is it possible to have a plugin/script to browse instant watch library and watch movies?

Thanks for the help.

M
If you think I'm useful please use the +/- button to raise my reputation
Lightbulb 
So I've been searching for something in the way of an HTPC that will stream netflix, play DVDs, and play my home videos on my mac. The later two are wonderfully covered with XBMC for mac. However, lack of netflix has been a sore spot. Boxee seems to hit the spot in that area but they are alpha and quite buggy. Plex is ok but again, no netflix. I actually prefer XBMC for mac vice Plex.

Today, a buddy of mine tipped me off to "understudy."

http://code.google.com/p/understudy/

It's essentially a plugin for frontrow that enables streaming of Netflix and Hulu. I've yet to try it (at work) but I will certainly give it a shot tonight. However, I am no fan of frontrow and its lack of functionality.

Since understudy is opensource, how feasible is it now for the XBMC for mac team to come up with a streaming Netflix/Hulu solution? IMO, Netflix streaming functionality would be a big win for XBMC for mac.

Jeremy
Follow-up:

Understudy works surprising well. There are some kinks but overall I'm impressed.

My question still stands.

Thanks!

Jeremy
I hate to ask for instructions on installing Understudy but I am not too terribly proficient with OS X shell commands. I have tried installing with installer through ssh but am not having too much luck. Does the pkg need to be extracted in OS X then placed in the folders according to the 'Installing from source code' instructions on the Understudy page?

I appreciate your help,
Patrick
I just opened the package with StuffIt Expander. Installer started immediately after that. After it installs, you'll have an "Understudy" option in frontrow. You may have to use OSX 10.5 but that I'm not sure of...
I also think it would be awesome if there was an Netflix plugin. I know boxee and media portal have this feature. I think that XBMC is far better then both boxee and media portal.

I noticed the media portal plugin uses the Netflix API, see the following thread:
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/plugin...ort-50573/

Netflix API:
http://developer.netflix.com/docs/Home

I believe XBMC is capable of streaming Netflix but I'm not a XBMC dev. Maybe a XBMC dev can shed some light on this subject for us. Smile
Also see => http://forum.xbmc.org/tags.php?tag=netflix
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Understudy is an outstanding plugin for Front Row on OS X 10.5.x. The code is is LGPL, and even on only three weeks old, it works great. Stream quality is good, functionality (integration of RSS feeds from Netflix and Hulu) makes life easy, integration tight. It's not complete of course, but even in its infancy it proves its value. Integrating it into the OS X version of XMBC should be a snap (spoken like a true non-programmer). Anyway, I wouldn't ignore this one XBMC folks...give it a shot and see for yourself.
Patrick,

As Jeremy already stated, you simply install it from the PKG file on the desktop. A couple of caveats (that got me):

1. You have to have Safari installed (I didn't)
2. You have to have OS X 10.5 (I didn't)
3. You need to login to your Netflix account on Safari (and leave Safari opened in the backrgound) before using Understudy.
4. You can find the RSS feeds (add them in the "manager" menu by copying the RSS url to your clipboard and using the "Copy from clipboard" function in Understudy) for Netflix (including Top lists, your Instant View Que, etc.) here: http://www.netflix.com/RSSFeeds
5. You can get RSS feeds for all of your favorite shows, new release lists, etc. from Hulu.

Anyway, enjoy. I watched a few shows/movies last night. Works GREAT! Wish it was integrated with XBMC.

pcaddict Wrote:I hate to ask for instructions on installing Understudy but I am not too terribly proficient with OS X shell commands. I have tried installing with installer through ssh but am not having too much luck. Does the pkg need to be extracted in OS X then placed in the folders according to the 'Installing from source code' instructions on the Understudy page?

I appreciate your help,
Patrick
rindeee Wrote:Understudy is an outstanding plugin for Front Row on OS X 10.5.x. The code is is LGPL, and even on only three weeks old, it works great. Stream quality is good, functionality (integration of RSS feeds from Netflix and Hulu) makes life easy, integration tight. It's not complete of course, but even in its infancy it proves its value. Integrating it into the OS X version of XBMC should be a snap (spoken like a true non-programmer). Anyway, I wouldn't ignore this one XBMC folks...give it a shot and see for yourself.

It's being looked into but don't expect anything to appear overnight. Smile
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Netflix 'Watch Now' plugin, script, or native code (with metadata scraper)?0