[MAC] Crystal HD card, lot of mosaic
Hi All,

My Crystal HD card just arrived, so I installed it on a laptop which running OSX 10.5.8 to try out. It works, the CPU usage on play 1080p movie is pretty low (from 150% but choppy to 30-40% and almost not frame drop). However, when I try to play BBC Planet Earch E01. Start from very beginning, there's lot of Mosaic and make it almost unwatchable. When it play millions of birds flying, it pause and buffering and play a little and buffering again. Most time, just lot of mosaic. Is this because the code is not very good yet? or because this card just cannot handle all 1080P movie very well? Anybody have same experience?

Thanks

Noodle
Noodle Wrote:Hi All,

My Crystal HD card just arrived, so I installed it on a laptop which running OSX 10.5.8 to try out. It works, the CPU usage on play 1080p movie is pretty low (from 150% but choppy to 30-40% and almost not frame drop). However, when I try to play BBC Planet Earch E01. Start from very beginning, there's lot of Mosaic and make it almost unwatchable. When it play millions of birds flying, it pause and buffering and play a little and buffering again. Most time, just lot of mosaic. Is this because the code is not very good yet? or because this card just cannot handle all 1080P movie very well? Anybody have same experience?

Thanks

Noodle

Just an FYI -- that scene is notorious in media server/HTPC circles as a disaster in mastering. It stutters on A LOT of setups.
NOD11 Wrote:Just an FYI -- that scene is notorious in media server/HTPC circles as a disaster in mastering. It stutters on A LOT of setups.

Thanks, I know. But even other parts, still mosaic, a lot.
Noodle Wrote:Thanks, I know. But even other parts, still mosaic, a lot.

Well, to give a completely simplistic, unhelpful (but nevertheless true) response -- some files will work well, and others won't. I have a crystalHD in a Mini and an appleTV, and I've found that some files just don't end up playing well. I've found no discernable pattern as of this point.

It will take time to get everything working smoothly.
Noodle Wrote:Hi All,

Thanks

Noodle

Please try and keep up, the has been posted many times now. BBC Planet Earth is encoded with 16 reference frames. The CrystalHD card can handle 10 reference frames. Encoding with 16 reference frames is silly, only this and one other are done this way.
NOD11 Wrote:Well, to give a completely simplistic, unhelpful (but nevertheless true) response -- some files will work well, and others won't. I have a crystalHD in a Mini and an appleTV, and I've found that some files just don't end up playing well. I've found no discernable pattern as of this point.

Use MediaInfo to qualify what plays and what does not. Stop guessing. Also pay attention to the sticky here -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69384 .
davilla Wrote:Use MediaInfo to qualify what plays and what does not. Stop guessing. Also pay attention to the sticky here -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69384 .

meh, I have 1200 movies in my library. To me, it's just not worth the effort to obsess about a few files that don't play correctly, but I'm glad that you clarified the issue for those that are reading the thread. I have faith that things will get worked out. Should I not?:p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Crystal HD card, lot of mosaic0