A few noob questions
I've been looking into building a HTPC with XBMC lately and I think I want to use something similar to the Acer Revo with XBMC Live installed on it because I want it to be dedicated to XBMC only.

Then I found out that you can run emulators through XBMC and thought that it would be amazing if I could just control the whole system with a wireless bluetooth PS3 controller in case I wanted to load up an old school game from time to time. So I'm just wondering if this would be possible to do on the Live version of XBMC?

Another question I have is does XBMC do a good job of upscaling SD content such as video encoded to MPEG2 / xvid / divx or actual DVDs? I currently use a PS3 for most of my video needs so I'm hoping it does at least as good of a job as PS3.

Also I was wondering if the Live version of XBMC supports GPU acceleration right away from ION devices like the acer revo or if it needs to be modified first.

Chances are that I will wait until the 2nd gen ION devices start to come out before I get something, but I'm just trying to figure out now what the best setup for my needs would be.

Thanks for any help
I ahve no idea about the emulators, but if you could do it in a full desktop install of Ubuntu there is a fairly good chance you could get it working under XBMClive if you were willing to do some tinkering.

As for the upscaling: I'm not totally sure on this (I have nothing to compare it to), but it seems to do a decent job. I've never had anything else to upscale videos though.

GPU acceleration: Yes. I've got 1080p playing with no stuttering or dropped frames on my ASRock ION330. GPU acceleration is only available under linux right now, and XBMClive is just the basic framework of Ubuntu with the desktop and other unnecessary bits stripped off. The only thing you need to do is go into the settings and enable VDPAU acceleration if it isn't already on. VDPAU doesn't work with the Xvid codec though, only h.264 (.mkv files will be h.264). So upscaling, colour correction, etc. won't work with most .avis.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A few noob questions0