memory leak in crystalHD driver
@davilla I know that this is a known problem and pretty high on the priority list right now. This post is not an attempt to nag for a fix. I just restart my AppleTV and go make a cup of tea when I notice this problem.

My question is, what can those of us who have this problem often (every day or so) do to help find the root cause?

Is there any extra debugging we can turn on and then post logs on pastebin for your perusal?
Ditto...

Any way to unload the driver and re-load it from the command-line to get crystalHD working again without rebooting would be a very useful suggestion right now too!
gen0 Wrote:Any way to unload the driver and re-load it from the command-line to get crystalHD working again without rebooting would be a very useful suggestion right now too!

I've tried that already...

sudo kextunload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext

I don't recall it fixed the problem. You are welcome to try it yourself next time it locks up...
Olethros Wrote:@davilla I know that this is a known problem and pretty high on the priority list right now. This post is not an attempt to nag for a fix. I just restart my AppleTV and go make a cup of tea when I notice this problem.

My question is, what can those of us who have this problem often (every day or so) do to help find the root cause?

Is there any extra debugging we can turn on and then post logs on pastebin for your perusal?

Nope, the issue is some driver class is not releasing memory when deallocated. This occurs under 10.4 (ATV is a 10.4 varient) and not under 10.5. I have to find which class is doing it and try to manually release what it leaks. We have already done this with one driver class, the memory leak was huge in the past.
gen0 Wrote:Ditto...

Any way to unload the driver and re-load it from the command-line to get crystalHD working again without rebooting would be a very useful suggestion right now too!

Will not recover the leaked memory. It's leaking physical memory allocations and when that leaks, it's gone until reboot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
memory leak in crystalHD driver0