Use an Onkyo remote (universal remote) to control XBMC? (On a mini...)
The Onkyo remote lets you program codes into it so you can control different devices. For instance I can control my Plasma using the remote. I'd really love to be able to control XBMC too, but I can't seem to find any Apple IR codes to program into the device.

It must be possible right? I mean, the Logitech universal remotes use IR and they can control Macs, so why couldn't this work?

If anybody knows how it'd be much appreciated Smile
Without a model number to reference I can only give backgrounding.

I worked as a home theater/ home automation installer for 8 years. Ran my on install company for 4. Was a dealer for Harmony/ Logitech for 1. CEDIA certified CCPI1.

In most of those years Onkyo used a nearly impossible carrier of 138k just as Bang and Olufsen did. It required a 56k remodulation to get their products working with anything else like say a repeating system. This is actually a large stride forward for them. Again without a model number I can not go any further in helping with the Onkyo product.

Logitech rents their database from other companies. Thus we do not get an "application" to program with when we buy a harmony remote. They do give us a web interface that accesses this database on the back end. With the Harmony connected to your computer via usb cable we get asked a series of questions about our A/V set up and the usually correct codes get downloaded and mapped to functions and buttons in the remote. Easy technology to sell but often hard to get working 100 percent seamlessly with no lagging.

Harmony also includes an IR receiver on the base of their remotes in the event that their codes are not working well. In the interface we are given the option to "learn" the command from the original remote. This helps with less than standard devices. Apple is very popular in custom install so their codes on the database are likely spot on.

Back to your Onkyo remote. Does it natively control your plasma or do you extend a repeater from an IR out port on the back of the receiver? Does the remote or the documentation for the remote cover the process of learning a command or do you get a series of codes to try and then set once they "work"? Direct TV uses this method to offer a one button on and off for both the set top box as well as the display or television. If the latter is the case then you may be on slim chances. If you can learn a command and store it in the remote then you have good chances.

http://www.remotecentral.com is the defacto hang out place for custom installers and sharing of remote codes. Search your remote there and see what people are saying about it on the forums. By the sounds of it you are lacking an "intermediate" remote to repeat a manually inputed code in to. The old marantz or phillips pronto remotes were great for this. They are pretty cheap to if you deem you need one. I used to grab codes from remote central and paste them in the the pronto application then learn them in to a different remote.

Try to get a model number for the remote or an oem number under the battery. If all else fails look for an FCC id number and post back. If its programmable we can figure it out.
A F'n Roku, cant wait to build a ryzen.
wow. no information in this thread that pertains to anything that I am doing, but I really just want to say that quotaholic, if there was an award for the most informative post I have ever seen, yours would win it.

Smile

cheers,

jason.
Trying to help clean up the afterbirth :laugh:
Not supposed to be in the Mac section, sorry! I came across this post googling.

I have been going through alot of drivers/configurations and alot of RC codes and finally found a code that works with my Mac Mini builtin IR receiver. I thought I might aswell share it here so other people wont have to go through the same Big Grin

The code for my Onkyo programmable remote (came with my TX-SR608) is: 32901 (according to the manual is for RCA).

What I did to get it all working (tested on Windows 7 only):
- Hold the buttons 'PC' and 'Display' for 3 seconds
- Enter code: 32901
- Uninstall the driver provided by Apple for the IR receiver (check 'delete drivers from system') and reboot
- Let Windows install the default driver
- Install EventGhost
- Add a Generic HID device as plugin.
- Configure the plugin to use the IR, set it to use raw data
- Map the key codes on the remote to the functions you want

I got everything working with my single Onkyo remote. It's ugly, but I love it! I just got it with the receiver and never thought it would be this good.

I got pretty much everything working, directional keys, rewind, FF, functions, OSD, shutdown. I am now in the process of figuring out how to make the scrolling go faster.
Hey abom, I came across this thread like yourself, through a Google search. I hope you're still around to answer this for me

Ive got a similar set up to yourself and have a couple of questions.

Ive got XP ( Shocked I know) running and have an Onkyo TX-SR508. Now I want to do the same as yourself (keep using the Onkyo remote), but have no IR receiver as yet. Im thinking about buying a Microsoft MCE remote just to use the IR receiver.

If I installed the driver for the MCE IR receiver, could I then use Event Ghost to intercept the Onkyo IR waves and change them to fit my needs?

And do I need to install WINLIRC too or is Event Ghost all I need?

Many many thanks in advance!
Hey jimmy, did you try that? I want to use exactly this setup, onkys sr508 remote + MCE receiver + event ghost in windows 7, without (win)LIRC or so... does it work?

Cheers Smile

edit: oops, just found this, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90863 , so it does seem to work, ok thanks Smile
Did anyone get this to work on Mac OS (not windows!!!). I have an Onkyo 609 remote. I am using a MacBook Pro (OS X Lion) Late 2011 model.

I also have a MCE remote + IR receiver. I believe the MacBook has it's own built in IR receiver as well.

I also have an Xbox 360 remote lying about!!
I would like to know the answer for Mac as well. I have a Mac Mini (2011) and Onkyo 609.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use an Onkyo remote (universal remote) to control XBMC? (On a mini...)0