Broadcom CrystalHD: Best encoding settings
Hello everyone,

a few weeks ago I got my Broadcom CrystalHD decoder card. I was very excited about that until I started playing the first movies. This card plays some files very nice and has with most of my files massive problems. So I think it's problematic how the files are encoded. Since all these are mkv container with a h.264 video stream (and some audio streams of course) there must be big differences in encoding settings. I already made my peace with the thought that I have to re-encode most my videos. But my problem ist, that I'm not really good at all that video coded stuff. The other thing is that I would like to re-encode all my vids by commandline with a minimum amount of quality loss (ideally there shouldn't be any quality loss). I thought I could use mencoder in combination with mkvextract and mkvmerge to re-encode everything. But my first tries weren't so successfull. The files became bigger (at least without quality loss) but the crystal hd didn't liked them much better. So does anyone of you have good settings for mencoder or any alternatives?

Thanks in advance
You should follow this thread. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69384

The problems are known and being worked on. Unless your files are encoded with ridiculous specs (like 10+ reference frames) the crystalhd card should be able to handle them just fine once the bugs are worked out.
I'm sorry. I saw this post. But I didn't made the connection to my problems. I have very low fps on most of my files and didn't knew it was a bug in XBMC. I just thought that the encodings weren't so optimal for CrystalHD since some files work very fine.
It could technically be a number of things. If you pastebin your log file of playback on one of the ones that fails people here can give you a definitive reason.

The CrystalHD card itself is quite capable and should be able to decode any sane H.264 encoding. L5.1 and 10 reference frames are the upper bounds of the device. That fits well within the full blu-ray spec.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Broadcom CrystalHD: Best encoding settings0