Best option for HTPC
Hello all,

I have a HTPC I have built a few years ago (although it has seen a few upgrades here and there). Originally it was a Mythbuntu box as I used it to record tv. That went away when I wanted to watch 1080p HD movies and I went with MediaPortal on Vista. Now I am tired of the disk noise and constant windows related popups that take over the screen. I stumbled upon xbmc and like what I see. I downloaded the live cd and ran it. I must say I am amazed that it worked out of the box with my remote (windows media center style but replaced the remote with a logitech harmony 880), and my IGP which is a nVidia 9400 chip. I have yet to have gotten to the point of playing an HD movie on it, but that should be easy.

What I want to happen is this: Run XBMC off my 4GB usb thumb drive and not lose my settings when I reboot or power down. I have found instructions on how to use unetbootin and making a permanent storage file, however there are a few issues.

1. The boot never gets past the GRUB prompt
2. When I try to make the live-rw.img file using toporesize it errors out with some error about "cannot write 8 bits at end....." This is probably easy to fix once I can boot the drive and use actual linux tools to do it as I am in windows trying to do this.

Basically here is what I am wondering:

Should I keep trying to use the live version or build my own with the minimal ubuntu iso?

and

Should I keep with the usb flash disk, get a small (8GB) SSD, or just give up the idea of a diskless (noise) HTPC? My goal is to have a diskless HTPC and have all my media on my server in the office mounted via NFS, SMB, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.
I have a diskless HTPC setting just like yours. The system is on a 4G usb flash drive, and it runs very well. I use Linux system to make live-rw file (Not sure, but I don't remember there's ".img" ext name). And I use unetbootin on Linux as well. XBMC Live support SMB already, you need to install NFS package in order to support NFS, but that's pretty simple.

One thing is: don't make live-rw file too big, normally there's no much thing need to write into this file system unless you want to install lot of another staff. Most XBMC user data went to /home/xbmc/.xbmc/ folder, and in XBMC Live, that folder is actually a symbol link to your USB sticker /dotXBMC folder. So, it write to your FAT32 file system directly. This file system (in live-rw file) will hold log files, your configuration (/etc/X11/xorg.conf, /etc/fstab for example), extra Fonts. And in order to use NFS, you will need to install NFS package into it as well.

I have 600M live-rw, but I think 400M should be more than enough. (I have NFS package installed)

Oh, BTW, sometimes, after I restart the HTPC, NFS mount in /etc/fstab didn't mounted automatically, I had to use SSH login and run command "sudo mount -a" manually. Fortunately, I can do it from my iPhone. Otherwise, it gonna to be pain since as HTPC, I don't have keyboard connect to it.

I'm pretty happy with this solution and not planning to install it to another USB flash drive.
BTW, I even installed Apple Movie Trailer and YouTube plugins, they all works fine.
Thanks for the input. I will try again once I get my server issues sorted out (just had a drive drop out of an LVM and it is wreaking havoc!). I was trying to make the image file 2-3GB so that may have been part of the issue.
Also, I just noticed you said that you had your usb disk formatted Fat32.... Mine is formatted in NTFS so that may be part of my booting issue.
Yes, most of boot loader, grub4dos for example, do not support NFS. Use FAT32.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best option for HTPC0