• 151(current)
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs
I am hoping to get a total moron's guide to getting Mame to work with RCB. I can get Znes and others to work, but I have no idea how to get Mame to work and I did read the posts about it in here. Right now I can't even get RCB to launch as I totally messed it up trying to get this to work (says a script error when I try to launch RCB).

First off, how can I completely uninstall RCB and start over because right now when I uninstall and reinstall it within XBMC (v11 Eden) it still will not launch and says there is a script error.

Second, which Mame program should I use? On the Mamedev.org site there is "mame0145s.exe" and "mame0145s.zip." I also have "mameui32 145.7." Which of these is easiest to use with XBMC/RCB?

Once I figure that out, I hope someone will be patient with me here in figuring out how to integrate it into RCB.
(2012-05-01, 23:01)shanndogg Wrote: I am hoping to get a total moron's guide to getting Mame to work with RCB. I can get Znes and others to work, but I have no idea how to get Mame to work and I did read the posts about it in here. Right now I can't even get RCB to launch as I totally messed it up trying to get this to work (says a script error when I try to launch RCB).

First off, how can I completely uninstall RCB and start over because right now when I uninstall and reinstall it within XBMC (v11 Eden) it still will not launch and says there is a script error.

Second, which Mame program should I use? On the Mamedev.org site there is "mame0145s.exe" and "mame0145s.zip." I also have "mameui32 145.7." Which of these is easiest to use with XBMC/RCB?

Once I figure that out, I hope someone will be patient with me here in figuring out how to integrate it into RCB.

I'd second this for MAME. The MAME emulators seem pretty complicated and and I'm having trouble even getting the emulator to recognize and load games.

I have no problems with the other emulators (I'm using 6 different game systems right now), but MAME is a different beast. Any pointers to a good MAME (generalized, not RCB-specific) tutorial would be appreciated, and then possibly some help later with RCB.
shanndogg Wrote:First off, how can I completely uninstall RCB and start over because right now when I uninstall and reinstall it within XBMC (v11 Eden) it still will not launch and says there is a script error.
To reset RCBs complete configuration you can go to "XBMC/userdata/addon_data" and delete the complete folder "script.games.rom.collection.browser". This folder holds all configurations.

To keep your configuration and just fix the error you should check XBMCs log file. Usually there is just one configuration error that can easily be solved.

shanndogg Wrote:Second, which Mame program should I use? On the Mamedev.org site there is "mame0145s.exe" and "mame0145s.zip." I also have "mameui32 145.7." Which of these is easiest to use with XBMC/RCB?
I guess both of them are good. With MameUI you will also have an UI if you need to configure something without editing MAME.ini file (but I am not 100% sure about this). I think I used both of them in the past and both worked.

shanndogg Wrote:Once I figure that out, I hope someone will be patient with me here in figuring out how to integrate it into RCB.
There is a good guide how to use MAME with Advanced Launcher. Same guide is valid for RCB.
(2012-05-02, 07:40)malte Wrote: To reset RCBs complete configuration you can go to "XBMC/userdata/addon_data" and delete the complete folder "script.games.rom.collection.browser". This folder holds all configurations.

There is a good guide how to use MAME with Advanced Launcher. Same guide is valid for RCB.

I don't have a "script.games.rom.collection.browser" folder. When I navigate to "XBMC/userdata/" there is no "addon_data" in the folder, only "PictureIcon, LCD, ModeLines_template, and RssFeeds." I also did a search for "script.games.rom.collection.browser" and nothing comes up.

I saw that guide for setting up MAME, but I really couldn't understand it. But, first things first. I can't even launch RCB and don't have that folder for some reason. Any other ideas, or should I just re-install XBMC?
You must check at "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata" (written down from memory, so this may contain errors). Note that AppData is hidden by default.
Perfect, found it and can now launch RCB again. Now for getting MAME to actually work.

Here are the steps I have taken:

1) I launch RCB, create a config file, then select MAME, go to "Path to MAME Emulator" and select "MameUI32.exe."

2) Emulator params comes up and in the entry field is "%ROM%"

3) Path to MAME Roms - I select the "roms" folder within the Mame32ui folder. File mask is *.zip

4) It asks for "MAME Artwork." I am not sure if this is for the artwork folder within Mame32ui or if it is one I should create to store artwork RCB downloads? Right now I selected an empty folder I created called "Mame Artwork."

5) I choose not to add another collection. Then blank screen. I hit "c" and choose "Import Games." A quick screen flashes like it downloaded something. Then blank screen. I use the arrow keys to bring up the menu to select all consoles, Genre, Year, etc. but nothing happens.

I read that the MAME scraper (maws.mameworld.info) is down and do follow the instructions found here. I will try that now, but shouldn't RCB launch Mame and list the roms as available even without the scraper?

Malte, the guide you linked to instructs that something must be done with the ini file which may be the problem I am having, but I really do not understand what I am supposed to do with it at all. Mame32ui has a .ini file both in the general folder and within the "ini" folder. So I don't know which to use and how to manipulate it as seen in the instruction link.
OK, some success after following the "How to add MAME roms with offline game description" guide. The Roms now show up, but when I select it to play a window comes up that says "MAME: <game name>" and within the window there is another window that lists p1 NOT FOUND, p2, etc. When I click "ok" it says: "ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run." I hit "ok" and it takes me back to the rom selection screen.

From the Offline description guide it says: "depending on your emulator you have to alter your emu params for launching games - but you can do this later..." I have a feeling this is related to the .ini issue, but doesn't indicate how to actually alter my emu params in the guide. So it looks like I am close, just need a little extra guidance here.
For mame the easiest way seems to use the mame frontend plugin which sadly doesn't work right with Eden right now. You just have to point it to the mame.exe and the games folder and it takes care of everything else.
shanndogg Wrote:From the Offline description guide it says: "depending on your emulator you have to alter your emu params for launching games - but you can do this later..." I have a feeling this is related to the .ini issue, but doesn't indicate how to actually alter my emu params in the guide. So it looks like I am close, just need a little extra guidance here.
It should really work exactly as described in the guide linked above.

1. Find the mame.ini file (or create it if not present)
2. Edit the mame.ini file and add the path to your roms as "rompath"
3. In RCBs emu parameters use -inipath "path to the mameini folder" "%ROM%"

The complete arguments could look like this:
Code:
-inipath "C:\Program Files\mame" "%ROM%"

If you still have problems please upload your xbmc.log file after launching a game. Maybe I can see what is wrong.

Darkcloud Wrote:For mame the easiest way seems to use the mame frontend plugin which sadly doesn't work right with Eden right now. You just have to point it to the mame.exe and the games folder and it takes care of everything else.
Often read good things about it but never got it working myself (even not on Dharma).
You guys rock! Through trial and error and especially your help I got it working. Here is what I had to do:

1) Open the "mame" ini file that is in the ini folder of Mame32ui (not the one that is in the general "Mame32ui" folder). Edit the line next to "rompath" with the path of my roms as you suggested.

2) This is the step that finally got it working - you also have to edit the value next to "skip_gameinfo" within the same ini file to "1." This was in the guide you linked before, but I totally over looked it and thought it was optional.

3) Enter the -inipath in the emu parameters as you indicated.

Thanks again for the help and quick resolution!
Hello Malte,

It's been awhile but I'm still fooling around with RCB and love every bit of it! Thanks for this awesome tool.

Anyway, I have a suggestion/question.

This website ( http://www.thecoverproject.net/ ) is just amazing and has the most beautifull cover scans for retro systems available on the net (without watermarking or any of that sh*t). It would be great if RCB would have a scraper for this site somewhere in the future. What do you think?

Also, I don't know if you are up to date regarding the Hyperspin project. But anyway, they have collections of so called 'wheelart'. This is actually the game logo or game name logo. It would be awesome if RCB would be able to link to this type of art and to have this game logo/name logo presented instead of the game name in the specific skin.

Finally, some thing struck me. For example for DOS games there are numerous collections out there. Example, we have the scumm collection (adventure games) or the RPG collection or ... What is you want to implement such a collection in RCB? I mean, you can choose just one systems once. Once you have added a "genesis" collection for example, you can not add another genesis collection? So I was wondering, wouldn't it be cool if there would be a second option in RCB to name and create your own new collection? Is it possible to add a collection in the config xml that is not presented by RCB?

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,
Grave
st graveyard Wrote:This website ( http://www.thecoverproject.net/ ) is just amazing and has the most beautifull cover scans for retro systems available on the net (without watermarking or any of that sh*t). It would be great if RCB would have a scraper for this site somewhere in the future. What do you think?
Looks good. But I have to check if it is technically possible to scrape the site and if it is tolerated by the site maintainers. I read in the forum that they had some trouble with robots and that they want to add a login procedure to protect cover download.

st graveyard Wrote:Also, I don't know if you are up to date regarding the Hyperspin project. But anyway, they have collections of so called 'wheelart'. This is actually the game logo or game name logo. It would be awesome if RCB would be able to link to this type of art and to have this game logo/name logo presented instead of the game name in the specific skin.
This is already on my list (somewhereSmile). Should not be much work.

st graveyard Wrote:Finally, some thing struck me. For example for DOS games there are numerous collections out there. Example, we have the scumm collection (adventure games) or the RPG collection or ... What is you want to implement such a collection in RCB? I mean, you can choose just one systems once. Once you have added a "genesis" collection for example, you can not add another genesis collection? So I was wondering, wouldn't it be cool if there would be a second option in RCB to name and create your own new collection? Is it possible to add a collection in the config xml that is not presented by RCB?
Nice idea. It may already be possible with editing config.xml but I have to check if there is a more user friendly way. Maybe it should be possible to enter self defined names for rom collections and select the system as separate option. I have to check this. Thanks for the input!
love this app btw.. just got one question..

I have several games that have multiple disks. So I named them FF7_Disk1 etc etc. My question is, how do I navigate to this second disk? I obviously want the game to only show once in the RCB section, but how do I select Disk 2?
Atm only loading all discs at once with different discnumbers is supported. But I guess uae (Amiga) is the only emulator that supports this scenario. It is on my list to support the multi disc scenario better.
so whats the way around this? basically deleting disk1 once im done with it and then renaming disk2 to disk1?
  • 151(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs20