• 340(current)
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs
Hi all! I'm trying to scrap my MAME games following the directions given here but cant find the file "MAME synopsis RCB 201202.zip" anywhere. Does anyone knows where I can find it?
Thanks!
This is a trick question, right?

As the file is actually listed on the page you listed.

"Get the file MAME synopsis RCB 201202.zip from RCBs project page."

It is actually a Link to download, so maybe your browser didn't pick that up?
The link gives a 404

The correct link taken from the downloads area is...

https://storage.googleapis.com/google-co...201202.zip
(2016-08-31, 20:17)sh0r3 Wrote: Hi all! I'm trying to scrap my MAME games following the directions given here but cant find the file "MAME synopsis RCB 201202.zip" anywhere. Does anyone knows where I can find it?
Thanks!

I've raised this as issue 249 on the Github page: https://github.com/maloep/romcollectionb...issues/249

This link was probably missed when migrating from GoogleCode to Github; the correct link is https://storage.googleapis.com/google-co...201202.zip (as suggested by Phantasm4489)
Hi Guys,

First off, just want to say the work that has been done for Rom Collection Browser is Amazing! This was exactly the solution that I was looking for in regards to taking all my emulators with me whereever I go on what ever device I want to use (I usually export out the config.xml & mygames.db to my dropbox and then sync that to my other devices.) which allows me to setup the games and system on one device and then copy these config files to other devices so that I wouldn't have to rescrape or resetup additional devices.

So my setups basically consist of an android device (fire tv stick, Android tv box, & nexus player) & a nas drive (WD Mycloud 3tb). Using the addon settings of "make local copy" I am able to play the majority of my emulators via my nas drive/cloud setup (bonus, use FTP instead of SMB as your source in Kodi and you'll be able to take this setup on the road outside of your home network).

The issue that I am running into are in relation to this setup and MAME/NEO GEO. These system requires BIOS files to be downloaded in order for the ROMS to play. So when I am launching console emulator games (snes, nes, gba, n64, etc), this setting works fine because it will copy the rom.zip file locally and launch these roms from the local tmp location. For Neo Geo roms (via Neo.EMU), I get the error (cannot find neogeo.zip or something along those lines) because when it is selecting the rom can copying it locally for the emulator to play, it is only grabbing the rom and not the required neogeo.zip so the emulator gives an error. I can pre-copy the neogeo.zip file and place it into the /tmp folder that the locally copied roms are running from however every time the emulator launches again, all the contents of the /tmp folder gets deleted so I have to recopy the neogeo.zip file into the /tmp folder again before I can launch the rom.

Is there a work around for this or is there a config file or something that can be read by mame/neogeo emulator to locate the neogeo.zip file or any other required bios in a different location. So in other words, I can still leave my rom files hosted via MyCloud, but have the bios files already on my device that can be read by the emulator so that when I select my game, it will download the game file locally to the tmp folder where it is ran but also meet the required neogeo.zip file because I had placed that file in a separate location?

My end goal here is to be able to play mame/neogeo games which requires bios files to run on an android device such as firetv stick via my Network Share Drive using the "Make Local Copy" feature. I have gotten this to work on all other emulator that doesn't require bios files. How do I handle emulators that needs bios files to run?
For anyone what is having trouble with the scraping ("Could not create artwork"), I found a solution on another forum that gets past all the errors and allows the good art to download:

Detailed:
1. Close XBMC
2. Go to the folder script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib (in %Appdata%\XBMC\ on Windows)
3. Make a backup (copy) of the file dbupdate.py
4. Open the dbupdate.py file in any texteditor
5. Search for the following line and add a # at the front:
xbmcgui.Dialog().ok(util.localize(32012), util.localize(32011))

It should look like this:
#xbmcgui.Dialog().ok(util.localize(32012), util.localize(32011))

6. Save the file and open XBMC => No more "Could not create artwork file" errors Smile
my_heroine Wrote:Btw, even though I'm happy with this method because I can now play my NAS-stored ROMs, due to the limited space of the Fire TV, I can't really have a high number of PS One games (700 MB ISO). Therefore, would it be possible to automatically delete the temp files when you close the emulator so that you free up the space?
I will add this to my list.
[/quote]
Hey Malte, Great work on this. Since you were the programmer that wrote the function to "Make a local copy", is there a way for you to make it work with games that requires a bios file such as neogeo.zip? When I try to use RCB with NEO.EMU, even though the neogeo.zip file is on my network drive, my android device does not see it since the "Make a Local Copy" is only copying the rom and not the required neogeo.zip file with it. If I place the neogeo.zip file in the /tmp/neo geo/ folder that gets created in the internal memory, the game will launch. But this is only after it failed when trying to launch from a Front End and I retry again after copying the neogeo.zip file into the same location as the rom file.

My work around right now, which is not ideal but it does workis by using Tasker for android. I have a tasker profile setup to copy the neogeo.zip file into the /tmp location that the rom runs from when the neogeo application is launched. So with this workaround, when you select a neogeo game in RCB, it will make the cmd call to launch the rom & emulator. From what I can tell, at this point, the program clears out the /tmp folder before trying to launch the emulator and rom file. I will get an error that neogeo.zip does not exist in the emulator but at this point, the emulator has launched and fired off the tasker's task to copy the neogeo.zip file into the /tmp folder. So now I can just try to launch the game again from the emulator's menu and it will launch now because the rom and the required neogeo.zip file are both in the tmp folder for the second attempt to run. I'd really like to be able to keep the neogeo.zip and for mame, any bios files that are required in the tmp folder or have RCB make a call to download both the bios file and the rom file when trying to launch.

Any thoughts on this?
(2016-09-08, 00:59)math0ne Wrote: For anyone what is having trouble with the scraping ("Could not create artwork"), I found a solution on another forum that gets past all the errors and allows the good art to download:

Detailed:
1. Close XBMC
2. Go to the folder script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib (in %Appdata%\XBMC\ on Windows)
3. Make a backup (copy) of the file dbupdate.py
4. Open the dbupdate.py file in any texteditor
5. Search for the following line and add a # at the front:
xbmcgui.Dialog().ok(util.localize(32012), util.localize(32011))

It should look like this:
#xbmcgui.Dialog().ok(util.localize(32012), util.localize(32011))

6. Save the file and open XBMC => No more "Could not create artwork file" errors Smile

I created a Pull Request about a month ago to fix the underlying issue (https://github.com/maloep/romcollectionbrowser/pull/244), but this works to at least hide the error dialog (on each rom!) in the meantime.
(2015-02-12, 10:33)malte Wrote:
joebloggs12 Wrote:thanks malte for reply, at the present time it would be beyond my capabilities as my knowledge of python is probably way to low. I sort of understand what's needed but unsure how to implement

here's what mine looks like in black glass nova with multiple instances , this is the kinda thing that I was hoping to achieve
I will check what needs to be done to get this working. My latest suggestion was nonsense, it did not work this way. As I started to investigate on this, it may be possible that I include some workaround in next release (I guess it will be based on adding several favourites to RCB and make some manual changes to the favourites.xml file).

Maleficium Wrote:My major problem with Kodi (and Gotham) its the time RCB needs to start. I have a big database (almost 50k games, 69 systems) and it takes almost 1 minute just to start while in Frodo it starts in 2 seconds.
Strange. I did not notice any performance changes. There was an api change from dharma to eden that decreased performance in RCBs list loading but this wouldn't explain the behaviour in gotham and helix. I just realized that this api change was reverted with Frodo. I will check if I can achieve some performance boost with including this part of code again.

Maleficium Wrote:Btw, there's any way to start RCB automatically every time I start XBMC ?
Not yet. It is on my list and it should not be much work but I did not yet include it.

weirdinin Wrote:I have more issues in regards of changing metadata of rcm. If I edit Steam.nfo e.g change <plot>blaa blaa </plot> to something else and re-add or rescrape the game, the plot of the game in rcm doesn't change. How come rcm always uses metadata for plot from internet, not from local file?
RCB will always mix the results of all scrapers, but it does this via first come, first serve. If the first scraper finds plot information it will not be overwritten by another scraper. If you want to make sure to update your data with local info you should use the local scraper as the only scraper. Are you using the local nfo scraper or did you create a custom offline scraper?

Ylee_one Wrote:Can post whole log if needed.
Yes, this would help.

projektpatrick Wrote:I'm running Openelec 5, and I do have sound working when retroarch is started via Advanced Launcher.

If I run the same game (presumably same command executed) in RCB, it doesn't have sound.
You could try the popen option in RCBs launch games settings. Otherwise I have no idea why it behaves like this.

nalias Wrote:This takes me to my problem, I took the time to import and sort out a library of ~2400 games, and it was working fantastic, for a single evening.... the next day it was only showing a tiny fraction of the games listed
Maybe you have added some missing info filter by accident? You could try to change some settings in this filter and remove all filters at the end.

my_heroine Wrote:Btw, even though I'm happy with this method because I can now play my NAS-stored ROMs, due to the limited space of the Fire TV, I can't really have a high number of PS One games (700 MB ISO). Therefore, would it be possible to automatically delete the temp files when you close the emulator so that you free up the space?
I will add this to my list.

(2016-09-07, 19:43)Spikey818 Wrote: Hi Guys,

First off, just want to say the work that has been done for Rom Collection Browser is Amazing! This was exactly the solution that I was looking for in regards to taking all my emulators with me whereever I go on what ever device I want to use (I usually export out the config.xml & mygames.db to my dropbox and then sync that to my other devices.) which allows me to setup the games and system on one device and then copy these config files to other devices so that I wouldn't have to rescrape or resetup additional devices.

So my setups basically consist of an android device (fire tv stick, Android tv box, & nexus player) & a nas drive (WD Mycloud 3tb). Using the addon settings of "make local copy" I am able to play the majority of my emulators via my nas drive/cloud setup (bonus, use FTP instead of SMB as your source in Kodi and you'll be able to take this setup on the road outside of your home network).

The issue that I am running into are in relation to this setup and MAME/NEO GEO. These system requires BIOS files to be downloaded in order for the ROMS to play. So when I am launching console emulator games (snes, nes, gba, n64, etc), this setting works fine because it will copy the rom.zip file locally and launch these roms from the local tmp location. For Neo Geo roms (via Neo.EMU), I get the error (cannot find neogeo.zip or something along those lines) because when it is selecting the rom can copying it locally for the emulator to play, it is only grabbing the rom and not the required neogeo.zip so the emulator gives an error. I can pre-copy the neogeo.zip file and place it into the /tmp folder that the locally copied roms are running from however every time the emulator launches again, all the contents of the /tmp folder gets deleted so I have to recopy the neogeo.zip file into the /tmp folder again before I can launch the rom.

Is there a work around for this or is there a config file or something that can be read by mame/neogeo emulator to locate the neogeo.zip file or any other required bios in a different location. So in other words, I can still leave my rom files hosted via MyCloud, but have the bios files already on my device that can be read by the emulator so that when I select my game, it will download the game file locally to the tmp folder where it is ran but also meet the required neogeo.zip file because I had placed that file in a separate location?

My end goal here is to be able to play mame/neogeo games which requires bios files to run on an android device such as firetv stick via my Network Share Drive using the "Make Local Copy" feature. I have gotten this to work on all other emulator that doesn't require bios files. How do I handle emulators that needs bios files to run?

I got everything working in RCB now via a Network share!!! Including Mame and Neo Geo Roms! They all launch into the games directly via RCB through the network and through my internet. Here's how I got it to work.

1) You must download Mame4Droid 139.u1 ver 1.11
2) Your parameters to launch a game directly from RCB with Mame4Droid will be "start --user 0 -a android.intent.action.VIEW -n com.seleuco.mame4droid/com.seleuco.mame4droid.MAME4droid -eu Uri "file://%rom%"" without the quotation marks.
3) You can use Mame4Droid to launch your Neo Geo roms so I am no longer using Neo.Emu since it requires the neogeo.zip file in the same folder as the Roms. Mame4droid will launch the Neo Geo games without the need of neogeo.zip in the same directory as your Roms since the ROMS are being ran from the /tmp folder.

So using Mame4Droid, the settings in RCB to "Make a local copy" and my WD Mycloud 3TB setup as an FTP server, I am able to carry with me on any of my android device now the entire Game library for GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, N64, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega Game Gear, Turbo Graphics 16, Neo Geo Pocket, Neo Geo & Mame without it taking up any space on my actual devices to store the roms.

Thank you to Malte for your great work and thanks to all of those who's posted. I was able to read through hundres of post to come up with this solution and I hope that by sharing this with y'all it helps the people with an Amazon Fire Stick to have the same setup since this was the original reason why I wanted to setup RCB to do this.

Message me if anyone else wants to have this setup and I can try and help you guys achieve the same thing. It is amazing!!!
So I downloaded the latest version of Xbmc/Kodi and I'm trying to add my rom list to it (SNES, NES, Sega). I've been trying to do this for the past two days to no avail!

The software simply won't let me do it. Here's the list of errors I've had:

1: Kodi freezes and I need to force close it after playing a game sometimes. after which all my rom data/list goes away.
2: Freezes while scanning/importing games multiple times after which there's no data saved again!
3: Freezes while downloading info from the database and after I press 'cancel', it freezes, has to be force-closed.
4: Sometimes after this, it opens up and says that it's busy cancelling the scan and I should try again later. This takes forever and the user data in my profile save needs to be deleted, after which I need to start the whole process again and go back to the living hell that is in point number 1.

Sorry if I sound frustrated, but it's been two days and is eating away at my spare time. All I want to do is add my roms.

Is there another stable version I could use? The Ace theme doesn't work on this version either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(2016-09-26, 14:55)SylentEcho Wrote: Is there another stable version I could use? The Ace theme doesn't work on this version either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ROM Collection Browser is currently not maintained anymore and known to cause trouble with Kodi Jarvis and Krypton. Why don't you give Advanced Emulator Launcher a try?
After not finding any useful information on how to get Rom Collection Browser to display correctly on 1080 skins I decided to put some of my coding knowledge to use. This has been bugging me for quite a while now and I finally decided to do something about it. This fix should work for any 1080 skin as it modifies the core RCB files and not your skin files.

This will fix the Console, Genre, Year, Publisher, and A-Z labels from floating in the middle of the screen and adjust them so they are correct. Your mileage may vary, I've only tested this with Aeon Nox 5. Be sure to modify the XML file for the skin you have selected in RCB's Addon Configuration. In my case, I am using Night.

Navigate to the skin XML (Either Default, Night, or Simplicity)

X:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\skins\Night\720p\script-Rom_Collection_Browser-main.xml

Find the following lines in the XML:

Code:
<!-- Console filter -->
<control type="label">
<description>Consoles</description>
<posx>0</posx>
<posy>20</posy>

Change the
Code:
<posy>20</posy>
to
Code:
<posy>-650</posy>

Do this for the following sections as well:

Code:
<!-- Genre filter -->
<control type="label">
<description>Genre</description>
<posx>210</posx>
<posy>20</posy>

Code:
<!-- Year filter -->
<control type="label">
<description>Year</description>
<posx>420</posx>
<posy>20</posy>

Code:
<!-- Publisher filter -->
<control type="label">
<description>Publisher</description>
<posx>630</posx>
<posy>20</posy>

Code:
<!-- Character filter -->
<control type="label">
<description>Character</description>
<posx>840</posx>
<posy>20</posy>

The Console, Genre, Year, Publisher, and A-Z labels should now appear correctly.
does anyone have any tips on adding Makaron Naomi. Especially artwork.
Anyone have a download link to the latest?
Asrock Rog Z390-H | Intel i9 9900K | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Pop!_OS 20.10 |Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019)
EVGA Hybrid FTW GTX 1070 | Corsair 16GB DDR4
Samsung 500GB SSD | 500GB Nvme SSD |500GB WD Black Nvme SSD |6TB HDD
Hi malte,

i really love your work and i am very thankful something like this exists.
i managed to setup some compilations for snes, n64 and even gamecube.
however i am not able to set up the psx porperly. as long as the game only consists of 1 disc everything works like a charm. but if there are multiple discs i get to the window where i can choose which disc i like to run, but after clicking on it the addon says game launches, but nothing happens.
i am running your addon (1.2.1) on kodi 17 beta 2 on a linux platform.

i really searched for this problem quite some time and i hope this questions hasn't been solved before.

ninja
  • 340(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs20