[WINDOWS] mkv stuttering on ION based system.
Hi All

I've done a search of the forum and couldn't see anything relating to my issue, so apologies if I've missed it.

I have a system built round the Asus AT3N7A-I motherboard, with the Atom 330 CPU and NVidia ION chipset. I have 2GB of RAM of which 512MB is given to the GPU. I'm running Windows XP and the latest stable XBMC.

Whenever I try and play an .mkv file through XBMC, the file stutters like crazy, dropping frames all the time when viewed on the "O" info bar. However, if I play the same file in MPC-HC, then the file plays fine.

I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that XBMC is not using the GPU to help with the decoding - but is it possible? Or is the problem something completely different?

I have got MPC-HC playing through XBMC, which works fine, but I'd like XBMC to play natively so I keep all the controls etc if possible.

TIA

Si.
XBMC will not do hardware acceleration on Windows XP. You need Windows 7 (or Vista).

JR
Huh Huh Huh

Does it mean that MPC-HC can do Hardware Acceleration on winXP Huh Huh
You certainly have missed it - a thread with 200+ pages and 297,000+ views.

The DSPlayer builds will, with correct configuration, provide hardware acceleration for XP builds - see here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61355.

Native playback within xbmc provides dxva2 implementation which is only suitable with Vista and Win7 builds.
Or give XBMC Live (Linux) a try. It works really nice in my similar configuration with no problems at all.
rtrimarchi Wrote:Huh Huh Huh

Does it mean that MPC-HC can do Hardware Acceleration on winXP Huh Huh

Yes. MPC-HC uses DXVA1 while XBMC uses DXVA2. The latter was introduced with Vista.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Yes. MPC-HC uses DXVA1 while XBMC uses DXVA2. The latter was introduced with Vista.

JR

I've tried running on a Windows 7 install but I get the same problem. The dsplayer version does work to a certain extent with .mkvs, but it's not perfect (occasional flickering / juddering and loss of audio).
Simebaby Wrote:I've tried running on a Windows 7 install but I get the same problem. The dsplayer version does work to a certain extent with .mkvs, but it's not perfect (occasional flickering / juddering and loss of audio).

You might need to enable the feature in XBMC before it uses DXVA.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] mkv stuttering on ION based system.0