Will the release of the Google TV platform make the XBMC software/framework obsolete?
10,000 is on the low side for just xbmc for atv users Smile
jmarshall Wrote:@AnalogKid: 10,000 is nothing, I agree. Judging by the number of addons downloaded each and every day there's a few more than that Wink

Hi guys.
Jonathan, how about compiling some stats and publish them? Just curious...

hudo
davilla Wrote:10,000 is on the low side for just xbmc for atv users Smile

Apologies for 10,000 then!...
was just a suggested figure really... but for all intents and purposes, it's "not huge" (not meant to be a criticism)... That statement would be true for Mac Users, Android Users etc (by comparison with the overall market).

Just out of curiosity, what IS the estimated number of active XBMC users?

Would be quite interesting to know the estimates.

Regardless, my real point (as I'm sure you figured) was that the whole industry is struggling to figure where the money's going to be made.... and XBMC is no real threat to that. And, it happens to be quite a good 'citizen' in terms of sticking to the spirit of the laws in most countries!

Long live XBMC!
pike Wrote:may I trouble you for the source ?

Yeah here is the announcement where he brags about LG buying a version of Plex for their TVs:

http://elan.plexapp.com/2010/09/02/plex-...elevision/

It seems like it will be nothing fancy, just a thin client that connects to the Plex Media Server running on a Mac (and I bet by then Windows PCs as well). My point was that LG soon will be semi-legally accountable for their media server's content all of a sudden...

regarding stats, we were serving 50000 add-ons a day on average (~ 30 days iirc) last time we checked. we'll need a bit larger dataset before we publish results though (in particular we should get the stable out the door).

that's the only means we have of "tracking" the number of users btw, there's no calling home code in xbmc for those with such concerns.
spiff Wrote:regarding stats, we were serving 50000 add-ons a day on average (~ 30 days iirc) last time we checked. we'll need a bit larger dataset before we publish results though (in particular we should get the stable out the door).

that's the only means we have of "tracking" the number of users btw, there's no calling home code in xbmc for those with such concerns.

That's very impressive, although not so easy to deduce the number of users from...

Some users will download multiple addons, but then I can't see them doing so every day...

I'd imagine you'd get a reasonable figure of 'recently active users' in the forum, and then multiple by some 'friends and family' factor... say 1.2 (20% of us end up installing it for others on their systems).
I would guess most XBMC users take a look at the forum at least once a month.

I do hope nobody thought the 10K figure was being disparaging. It really was just a figure to illustrate a point.
My guess (based on things like downloads of the app, downloads of addons, rss hits, website hits compared to forum hits etc.) is that less than 1% of XBMC users take a look at the forum at least once a month. You guys are very much in the minority!

As spiff says, once we have some firmer stats (i.e. once Dharma's been out for a while) we'll publish some info.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will the release of the Google TV platform make the XBMC software/framework obsolete?0