Will the release of the Google TV platform make the XBMC software/framework obsolete?
Question 
When companies like Apple and Google go after a market place they normally get it. With Apple they forgot how they were successful with ipod. They need to have a flexible embedded program that not only play their proprietary formats but played all open formats. With XBMC simply adding that to Apple and to the Xbox made it a real great device. Now Google is coming in with an Android based solution, sure it will be robust and they have Youtube and Google Videos for content but will it play all open formats? Probably. So what the issue? XBMC is great and I love it. It does two things very well; it’s a media player that can be control with a remote. That’s it. Sure it has plug-ins, and scripts and programs, but they are more for the hobbyist rather than mainstream.

Looking at Google TV as soon as it comes out you know the team at XBMC will be trying to port to that new device; that is what they do best. But wait would it be advantageous to also start to provide code to existing websites to link XBMC with streaming media rather than to build out a who series of different plug-ins and scripts etc.? Maybe if XBMC worked on providing a common plug in for media streaming websites maybe XBMC would be a competitor to Apple and Google.

I guess it not to be in competition with commercial players but to provide a real alternative?

Lazy Don
Moskaluk Wrote:When companies like Apple and Google go after a market place they normally get it. With Apple they forgot how they were successful with ipod. They need to have a flexible embedded program that not only play their proprietary formats but played all open formats. With XBMC simply adding that to Apple and to the Xbox made it a real great device. Now Google is coming in with an Android based solution, sure it will be robust and they have Youtube and Google Videos for content but will it play all open formats? Probably. So what the issue? XBMC is great and I love it. It does two things very well; it’s a media player that can be control with a remote. That’s it. Sure it has plug-ins, and scripts and programs, but they are more for the hobbyist rather than mainstream.

Looking at Google TV as soon as it comes out you know the team at XBMC will be trying to port to that new device; that is what they do best. But wait would it be advantageous to also start to provide code to existing websites to link XBMC with streaming media rather than to build out a who series of different plug-ins and scripts etc.? Maybe if XBMC worked on providing a common plug in for media streaming websites maybe XBMC would be a competitor to Apple and Google.

I guess it not to be in competition with commercial players but to provide a real alternative?

Lazy Don

I read this a few time and still don't understand what you are asking.
I get what he's saying.

I've tried a bunch of scripts for XBMC. They're awkward, clunky, and usually end up crashing the whole program. Not very good at all.

I think MOST users of XBMC would welcome some real youtube/hulu/whatever integration.

I think the OP is saying that since the competitors are going to offer it, then why shouldn't XBMC also offer it?
vinistois Wrote:I get what he's saying.

I've tried a bunch of scripts for XBMC. They're awkward, clunky, and usually end up crashing the whole program. Not very good at all.

I think MOST users of XBMC would welcome some real youtube/hulu/whatever integration.

I think the OP is saying that since the competitors are going to offer it, then why shouldn't XBMC also offer it?

http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap

Read about the Addons Manager being implemented.
In the roadmap it looks like you are building a common api, which is great, but I was wondering if you would provide the content provider an api or some standard connectivity that the content provider could install on their system to provide standard connectivity to xbmc?

So bottom line is content providers could provide a standard connectivity to xbmc with out special scripts or plug ins, such that web contents could be XBMC friendly?

The idea is to create a standard script between content providers and xbmc.
All the content provider needs is to supply an rss feed. We already support it.

The problem is said content providers don't want to provide their content to anyone. Instead, they want to cling hold to it for as long as possible, making their viewers jump through hoops to watch stuff.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:All the content provider needs is to supply an rss feed. We already support it.

The problem is said content providers don't want to provide their content to anyone. Instead, they want to cling hold to it for as long as possible, making their viewers jump through hoops to watch stuff.

Do you mean XBMC is a piece of software that is stuck between hardware and content providers (read: Really big companies like Sony, Google, etc)? So the point in the OP is that he is waiting for content providers to provide a uniform way of exposing data. In my believe this is the whole point of XBMC (next to play local content). Thus it's XBMC's main survival plan. And I do believe Andoid will be on of the most important platform of the coming years. See my earlier post on this one: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=484...tcount=190

Ergo: Android consortium consist off the main hardware providers and the main content providers off the world. They only lack a uniform way to digital distribute content. Isn't this a great opportunity for XBMC?
"main survival plan"? XBMC is free opensource software. Its survival plan is to exist as long as developers feel like writing code to it in their free time. If google somehow comes out with some amazing video software that completely eradicates the need for XBMC, then hooray for google. If, in the much more likely alternative, google comes out with a half-assed player that plays content but skins poorly and doesn't support a jillion different systems, then I guess there will still be a demand for XBMC.

As for us contacting content providers, probably not going to happen. Boxee is taking the brunt on that and Boxee is getting constantly shafted and yelled at. The head of NBC in a session with the US Congress called Boxee's actions with Hulu illegal (which is an incredibly incorrect characterization).

At present, content providers don't WANT to talk to XBMC, Boxee, or anyone they don't directly control or receive money from. If, at some point in the future, they change their minds, then I'm sure the XBMC devs would be very welcoming, but I'd be pretty surprised if any dev went out of his way to be told no, when the focus is so clearly on local content at the moment.
Question 
Is this the end for XBMC? http://www.google.com/tv/
Do I replace my XBMC Zotac box which is connected to my big flat screen
TV with GoogleTV now?
Or do we just turn XBMC into an GoogleTV app or skin that runs on it?
I still have my movie/TV/music/picture library on a linux server,
with all the metadata in those XBMC sqlite databases and individual
*.nfo files so this would work. I was going to wait for the port
of XBMC to ARM/Tegra for my future Android/Chrome tablet but I think
an XBMC Google TV app/skin would be helpful too. XBMC on tablets would
be my portable solution and XBMC GoogleTV app would be my big screen LCD TV
solution.
This is really cool... But I don't necessarily see all that much more functionality than xbmc/boxee already has
So far it sounds like a hardware platform. I haven't seen anything saying that Google TV would be available to install on an existing HTPC. So, it's interesting, but probably isn't going to replace XBMC for me.
The focus of Google TV is Internet content. The focus of XBMC is local (disk) content. They are complementary and not necessarily competitive.

I still keep my DVR material off of XBMC because XBMC fills a very specific niche for me. The DirecTV DVR does its job well, as does XBMC.
Jkinney Wrote:This is really cool... But I don't necessarily see all that much more functionality than xbmc/boxee already has

I think it integrates with your TV/PVR and has embedded internet browser.
XBMC/Boxee doesn't really have that functionality, XBMC/Boxee is just my second A/V input on my LCD-TV that front ends my media library of movies/tv shows/music/photos. I can switch over
to my browser for Internet or use other linux apps but they all are separate from XBMC.
XBMC on GoogleTV would be a downloaded app from the GoogleTV App store. Perhaps an
XBMC GoogleTV app isn't needed and you can just "Add Source" to GoogleTV but it may
not look as polished and nice as XBMC and it's skins.
Was watching the keynote with great anticipation. What I saw was a flop. Thanks Google for vp8, but I'll pass on this one. It's been tried. Wink

TheUni
Google is partnering with Sony, DishTV, Logitech ... so I expect to see the same kind of lousy performance I get with my Samsung "internet enabled" tv with Yahoo Widgets. I can get to YouTube with it, but firing up my WDTV-Live and accessing it through Playon is much faster. I expect my upcoming xbmc box to be faster still.

And as others have mentioned, it doesn't appear to integrate your local content (movies, music and pictures). So the functionality Google TV provides, integrated into a Dish Network PVR, would be nice, but it doesn't fulfill all my media needs.

It could mean the death of the local TV affiliate.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will the release of the Google TV platform make the XBMC software/framework obsolete?0