Play a video by clicking the file in windows?
How can I make XBMC start playing a video by clicking the file in windows?

I installed XBMC for windows, on Vista.
Everything works greate !!!

I want to associate XBMC to my video files (.avi, .mkv etc.) and watch them in XBMC.
I tried using the "Open With..." command, and the File Association Table...
I tried using XBMC.exe, and the shortcut (xbmc.exe -p), and even xbmc.exe -p -fs...

I cant get XBMC to start playing the video. It always opens in the main menu window.

What do I need to do, to make XBMC play the file upon clicking it, in Windows, like any other player.

Thank you
Marzel
You can't. XBMC is not designed to be a player that you start from clicking a file in windows. Use a tool designed for the job (vlc for instance).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thank you for the fast replay

I'm sorry to hear that. XBMC is the best media center for me, that I meat so far, and I'm going to stay with it.

I'll try asking for that feature, in the requeste list

Thank you again
Marzel
This does it in a roundabout way!
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tip...ia-center/
marzel Wrote:How can I make XBMC start playing a video by clicking the file in windows?

I installed XBMC for windows, on Vista.
Everything works greate !!!

I want to associate XBMC to my video files (.avi, .mkv etc.) and watch them in XBMC.
I tried using the "Open With..." command, and the File Association Table...
I tried using XBMC.exe, and the shortcut (xbmc.exe -p), and even xbmc.exe -p -fs...

I cant get XBMC to start playing the video. It always opens in the main menu window.

What do I need to do, to make XBMC play the file upon clicking it, in Windows, like any other player.

Thank you
Marzel

Really!

I don't understand when you are using XBMC as a media center and then want to add features of what a videoplayer does.

Can you explain why you need this? What circumstances?

I can't for one think of a reason.
Intel NUC Skull Canyon - Windows 10 Pro - Kodi 18
VU+ Solo2 - Canal Digital/CMore Max
Samsung UE65KS9005 Pro Calibrated
to automated:

Thank you. I'll try it.

==========================

to TheSwede1970:

There are some reasons for this request.

(Generally, as you know, there is a lot of work before watching the movie -- searching, downloading, muxing, finding subtitles, etc. & orgenizing the files -- which is all done in Windows. So I need to be in Windows environment.)

1. (for example): Windows-Searchers allow me esear access to my videos by name -- I can generate a list with the searcher, and then find the movie by typing 1st & 2nd chars (I work in Hebrew). In XBMC lists, I need to look for it by scroling through a very-very long list.

2. When watching a searces, you can create a shortcut to the directory, and start watching in 2 clicks (directory shortcut + episode). In the XBMC way, you need 10 clicks or more.

Hope I explained myself...
Marzel
i suggest 2 options:

Organize properly and have a media library.

or

Use something like mpc-hc or vlc if you browse in explorer.

also, xbmc is designed to be used with a remote control, as your clearly using a keyboard, perhaps mpc-hc would be better. there is no ultimate do all software, so pick the right one for the job.
Thanks

Like I said before, I already chose XBMC.
The picture quality is very good;
It handles subtitles wonderfull (without relation to the video resolution);
Full control over the movie (including FF & FR);

I'm just trying to make the best out of it.

I do use the remote. I even programed the big-green-button to start XBMC instade of MCE. But we have keyboard & mouse & remote on the table, so way not use them all.

I'm sorry if I'm not using XBMC "according to the rulls". But, like I said: I find XBMC to be the best MC and I want to make the beat out of it.

Thank you for all the support
I'll try to learn more about XBMC and use it properly.

M.
I know that you already chose XBMC but given that you seem to use it mostly as a straight video player relying on Windows Explorer as a media center interface I would recommend VLC (or other videoplayer as previously suggested)

VLC handles video even better than XBMC (you don't have the audio/video bug when FF or RW [Trac #5231] i.ex. Blush), handles external / internal subs and fulfills your desire of being able to open a video just by clicking on it.

I imagine it's a perception question but the strong suite of XBMC is the environment/library stuff, just for playing files I strongly favour standalone videoplayers.

If you still favour XBMC I am not aware of a command switch that would allow XBMC to be called with a single file name as a param and play it. You may put a feature request though I still find overkill to launch the full XBMC env. everytime you click on a file.
During my long journey of looking for a suitable MC, I tested many players (including VLC, I think).
I ended up with Windows Media Center — mostly because it had the best picture (and full screen on black BG) and handled Hebrew well.
Now, that I found something better then MCE, there is no reason to go back. (But I'll try VLC again, since you recommend it).

As I remember: most players use FFDShow and VobSub to handle subtitles, which make them dependent on the video resolution — and this is a major issue solved in XBMC. That's a very big good-point for XBMC (for us, users of subtitles).
The library feature is a nice addition for us, and we'll probably start using it.

I don't understand why it is an "insult" to XBMC to serve me only as a player.
Since XBMC opens on file-clicking (in menu mode), I don't see a reason not to add a direct-play (or full screen) switch, which will add more users (like me). Opening the program is immediate...

What I'm trying to say is: that XBMC is a very-very good program. And a very good program should allow the user to use it in any way it wants.

Thanks
M
If you hold SHIFT and type in any listing, XBMC will jump through your list. This may speed things up for you.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play a video by clicking the file in windows?0