Improving Crystal HD Playback
First of all, thanks to Davilla and the rest of the XBMC team for the superb job theyve done.

So I (like many others) have been running the crystal HD driver (old and new version) and xbmc nightlies for a while now. Performance has steadily improved, but as of recently I believe performance in video playback has peaked and isn't set to 'improve' anymore?

however for me there are a few videos (may be bad encodes or unsupported formats) that simply won't playback without dropping hundreds of frames (if at all). So i as wondering if there is still work going into improving performance and increasing compatibility.

An example of a video that won't play is one with the details below

Technical Information
Runtime 1:25:00
Bitrate 22221 kbps
Profile [email protected]
Resolution 1280x720 (16:9)
Framerate 59.940 frames/s
Ref. Frames 4
Sequence Frame 309182(0-X) / Time 1:25:55 :
Info: End of H.264 sequence

Sequence Summary:

File Size Processed: 14.41 GB, Play Time: 01h:25m:58s
59.94 FPS (Average), 22.80 Mbps (Average).
AC3 Audio: 3/2 Channels (L, C, R, SL, SR) + LFE, 48.0 kHz, 640 kbps.
Dialog Normalization: -31.0 dB, Center Mix Level: -4.5 dB, Surround Mix Level: -6.0 dB
0 of 161192 audio frames found with errors.
0.000000 seconds of audio timestamp gaps.

LINK TO VIDEO CLIP

Not sure if this info helps.

p.s. PLEASE forgive me if it has been made clear elsewhere that the CrystalHD hardware couldn't/shouldn't be able to handle this type of video.
"but as of recently I believe performance in video playback has peaked and isn't set to 'improve' anymore? "

Sorry but this annoys me. Please don't post silly statements like this. Unless you are active in the development process, you really don't have a clue as to what is being worked on. All you are doing is making uninformed guesses or are trying to "stimulate" development with goofy statements. Progress will be made when it's made.
Apologies Davilla did not mean to offend.

I'm sure somewhere I read that for the most part crystalHD playback was now smooth and what was being worked on was more bug fixes as opposed to better playback.

This i suppose is one of those times when I'm GLAD that I'm wrong.

Again, meant no offense.
jag0 Wrote:Apologies Davilla did not mean to offend.

I'm sure somewhere I read that for the most part crystalHD playback was now smooth and what was being worked on was more bug fixes as opposed to better playback.

This i suppose is one of those times when I'm GLAD that I'm wrong.

Again, meant no offense.

the progress on this front is made on a daily bases either via CHD driver development or via XBMC development itself.

The CHD playback is almost perfect for me on ATV(osx) and I know its even better on ATV(linux). 720p files have no issues and an occasional 1080p stutter, so you must have some silly encoded file Smile

Zeljko
Amet,

What version of XBMC are you running? r28256?

What about appleTV firmware? 3.0.1 or 3.0.2?

I'm currently running 3.02 and am encountering issues with frequent stuttering on 1080p content using r26 of the CHD drivers..

thanx..
jlemus Wrote:Amet,

What version of XBMC are you running? r28256?

What about appleTV firmware? 3.0.1 or 3.0.2?

I'm currently running 3.02 and am encountering issues with frequent stuttering on 1080p content using r26 of the CHD drivers..

thanx..

most of the time its r28256, and ATV is always 3.0.2.

Maybe having davilla look at the debug log and media info for offending file will shed some light on to the problem.
The reason you're not seeing a difference is because nightly builds are frozen for the moment while some features are merged. I'll presume you're not updating your driver either -- so without updating drivers or SVN how exactly do you expect improvements?

I note your video has 59.94fps, interlaced?

Put up some info about the media file (mediainfo output) rather than making wild guesses that are neither constructive nor helpful.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:The reason you're not seeing a difference is because nightly builds are frozen for the moment while some features are merged. I'll presume you're not updating your driver either -- so without updating drivers or SVN how exactly do you expect improvements?

I note your video has 59.94fps, interlaced?

Put up some info about the media file (mediainfo output) rather than making wild guesses that are neither constructive nor helpful.

I'm using what to my knowledge is the latest driver (1.0.3) and a very recent nightly build (ironically, your presumption that i was using older builds was in fact an example of the same wild guess you say i SHOULDN'T make")

In any case, as suggested, below is the MediaInfo. Hope this proves helpful. (AGAIN, if xbmc + the crystalHD is not designed to handle this format please just let me know, and I apologize for wasting your time)

*** MediaInfo Mac // Plain text file report
2010-03-22 06:13:45 -0500
Information for File: Lost S06E01E02 Sample

General / Container Stream # 1
Total Video Streams for this File -> 1
Total Audio Streams for this File -> 1
Video Codecs Used -> AVC
Audio Codecs Used -> AC3
File Format -> MPEG-TS
Play Time -> 30s 141ms
Total File Size -> 82.2 MiB
Total Stream BitRate -> 22.9 Mbps
Video Stream # 1
Codec (Human Name) -> AVC
Codec Profile -> [email protected]
Frame Width -> 1 280 pixels
Frame Height -> 720 pixels
Frame Rate -> 59.940 fps
Total Frames -> 1807
Display Aspect Ratio -> 16/9
Scan Type -> Progressive
Colorimetry -> 4:2:0
Codec Settings (Summary) -> CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
QF (like Gordian Knot) -> 0.374
Codec Settings (CABAC) -> Yes
Video Stream Length -> 30s 141ms
Video Stream BitRate -> 20.6 Mbps
Bit Depth -> 24 bits
Video Stream Size -> 74.2 MiB (90%)
Audio Stream # 1
Codec -> AC-3
Audio Stream Length -> 29s 984ms
Audio Stream BitRate -> 640 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode -> CBR
Number of Audio Channels -> 6
Audio Channel's Positions -> Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling Rate -> 48.0 KHz
Audio Stream Delay -> 200ms
Audio Stream Size -> 2.29 MiB (3%)
Audio Stream Language -> English
720p@60 fps is twitchy right now. On the list to look at.
Thanks for the info Davilla. There are a couple other videos (not 720p@60fps) that have a bit of trouble playing as well. I'll try and post the info later just in case.
yeah knew as soon as you mentioned 59.97hz you'd have a prob.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Improving Crystal HD Playback0