Live 9.11 Installer Failing at "Install the System"
Hey guys,

I'm trying to install XBMC live 9.11 (repack) onto a 2.7GB usb key from the XBMC live CD.

The installer formats the USB key fine, but when it tries to install the system it gives the error "installation step failed", the same as found here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=4...#post46527

I was wondering if anyone has found any resolution for this? could someone point me in the right direction? I have zero linux experience, but am willing to learn where I can.

Any help is much appreciated.

Luke,
Any ideas? Anyone? I'm sure others have had this problem before, please could someone point me in the right direction?

Thankyou!
Smile
If you are making a "real" disk installation (not live in the real meaning) then I guess it stops because you are out of space?
vikjon0 Wrote:If you are making a "real" disk installation (not live in the real meaning) then I guess it stops because you are out of space?

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "not live in the real meaning"?

However, There is plenty of space on the USB key, it barely starts installing (maybe gets to 10% or less) and crashes out, giving the error described above.

Just to clarify, I burned the XBMC live 9.11 repack.iso to a CD, put the CD in the drive, booted from the CD, used it to do a guided format (and later a manual format, neither helped) and when it gets to "install the system" step, it fails.

Any ideas? has anyone else had this problem?

I would really love to get a USB version of XBMC working so I can demo it to my friends/show off how awesome XBMC is.
shameless bump Smile
no-one else has come across this problem at all?
The only times I have seen this is when there is no space or the cd is damaged.
Sorry if I'm missing something here, but why not just use unetbootin to create a bootable usb? It worked for me...
Quote:Sorry if I'm missing something here, but why not just use unetbootin to create a bootable usb? It worked for me...
Yes, but installing a PC OS from cd is not completly unheard of Smile
I have the same problem. I ended up having to use the xbmcfreak version. The regular one would never work. I used a 2 gig usb stick and unetbootin and it would always fail at that point.
I'm having the same trouble too.

Tried installing from different flash drives, a USB CD-ROM drive, downloading xbmc-9.11-live-repack multiple times (sometimes 7-zip would say the archive was broken), ended up getting a torrent.

Every time it craps out at Installing the System. It boots fine in Live mode, just won't install. Full version of Ubuntu and Windows7 both install fine, just not the damn live version I want to be running.... So i don't think its the hardware...

This is my second Acer Revo AR1600 with 2gb of RAM i'm installing it on. The first one was fine but I was using an older version of the XBMC Live.

I'm thinking it's the disto that is the problem.... Anybody got any bright ideas?
I've got this problem with the xbmcfreak version but NOT with the normal

Asrock Ion 330

so strange....
update: the xbmc version fails in the same place for me. Looks like i'll have to go back to a full install of ubuntu to get the damn thing working temporarily.
i tried doing a full ubuntu install on my revo but my tv has overscan issues so the display was un usable all i saw was the background all the buttons were out of the screen range. I'm just gonna use xbmcfreak version until a new version of the official comes out.
Hey guys,

I tried installing using unetbootin first of all, but it didn't work, it wouldn't boot from USB to the install dialogue, cant recall why.

Can anyone offer a simple guide on how to install XBMC live to a USB drive? I've scoured the wiki and the forums and I'm just really stuck, I tried burning a CD with the live .iso on it and that's where I ran into the problem at "install the system".

I would really like to have a version of live on my 2gb usb stick to test out how it works with my 360 controller before I buy a 16gb usb or a revo for a proper system.

Any help is much appreciated,

Luke,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live 9.11 Installer Failing at "Install the System"0