XBMC 9.11 won't work plz help!
Sad 
Found the problem read my last post!

I got a HP media centre PC with no HD so I figured I'd try XBMC on it. I downloaded XBMC 9.11 Live Repack ISO and tried it, no go, Keeps asking for login, I found out the login is just XBMC and that just leaves me at a command line and from there I can't do any thing, tried typing in 'xbmc' at the command and just gives a error can't start X server. I tryed installing xbmc to a 4gig USB and installing to a HD and same thing just boots up asking my login and when I login nothing works dose the same as the live cd boot up.Any guide I found just says pop the cd in and boot then enjoy XBMC. How can I get it to work?
system specs.
HP Pavilion Elite m9080n
CPU = Intel core 2 Quad Q6600
RAM = 3gig
Video = Nvidia Gforce 8800 GTS
HardDrive = none
MotherBoard = HP butchered ASUS mobo

Please any help would be great and thanks to any one that takes the time read and reply
OlDrunk Wrote:I got a HP media centre PC with no HD so I figured I'd try XBMC on it. I downloaded XBMC 9.11 Live Repack ISO and tried it, no go, Keeps asking for login, I found out the login is just XBMC and that just leaves me at a command line and from there I can't do any thing, tried typing in 'xbmc' at the command and just gives a error can't start X server. I tryed installing xbmc to a 4gig USB and same thing just boots up asking my login and when I login nothing works dose the same as the live cd boot up.Any guide I found just says pop the cd in and boot then enjoy XBMC. How can I get it to work?
system specs.
HP Pavilion
CPU = Intel core 2 Quad Q6600
RAM = 3gig
Video = Nvidia Gforce 8800 GTS

Please any help would be great and thanks to any one that takes the time read and reply

sounds like a bad burn or download.
Sad 
Tried redownloading and burning, same thing, just boots and asks for XBMC Live login and even when I enter the default Live CD login I can't do any thing at the command line.
How do I start XBMC ? Is it not working because of my hardware, is XBMC live just meant to work on mini PC's like the Asus or the ION ?
I tried downloading another XBMC live cd found some Nvidia ION release, same thing how do I get XBMC to start? or is there a working version of the live cd or even how to install a version that works or what hardware is needed to run it.
I've tried Geexbox linux and it boots and works but runs slow and no remote support. Are intel CPUS not supported ? is intel CPU with Nvidia cards not supported? is HP hardware just not supported?
Well found my problem after much hair pulling so I'll post it here for any one else that may run into this problem, if X server or your display will work and you have a Nvidia card the problem is the Nvidia card, a uncommon well semi uncommon problem(likly with HP since they will be looking to make a buck and sell you cheap low end hardware) with Nvidia is they let any one make their hardware and I mean any one, so if your like me and have a HP Pavilion Elite with a Nvidia card stock chances are you got the cheapest lowest end Nvidia card that one of their hardware manufactures could make even though it may be a Gforce 8800GTS and quality looking card from the out side really its total crap on the inside hardware under the flashy heat sink. So what does this all mean? Well I've run into the problem before and also why I stop buying Nvidia products is every now and again you end up with a card that will ONLY work with the stock shipped windows 32bit drivers and nothing else, forget about upgrading the drivers or going to linux it just will never work. At least with the HP it uses a butchered Asus board and it has a in-board Intel GPU so if you pull the Nvidia card and take the plastic cap off the mobo VGA connector and use it XBMC works like a charm and gotta say XBMC is awesome!

P.S
I did not buy this computer( HP Pavilion Elite m9080n ) it was given to me by some one who switched to Mac after trying Windows Vista, don't blame him either I switch to linux after XP went to the dogs with all malware and Vista just simply did not work or a update would come out and brake it. Oh ya ATI video cards all the way at least they only get their stuff built by trusted hardware partners if you disagree then go back and look at who made the card even with ATI some of the 3rd party stuff is sketchy at best, always look at the manufactures name on the box/board same goes for Nvidia but with them if says BFG tech then okay its good but if its Nvidia or some one else look out your getting a lemon.
someone help me on my post as well > http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38473 <
are you trying to run xbmc instead of ur display manager? --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38473 <-- i tried to put kubuntu on my friends hp and it gave me err msgs about the sound, some devices apparently have trouble with linux dealing with hp laptops. is this an issue with ur hp?
@ricksanon
I have a HP desktop and I was using the XBMC live CD to install so I did not have to install ubuntu first , the issue with my set-up is when you boot up the live cd it gives the options for XBMC with different graphics card drivers Nvidia, ATI and Intel. I had a POS Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS card so I picked the Nvidia option and thats where my problem was, the Nvidia cards that HP supplys with Pavilion Elite m9080n(this one I had any way, your results may very) only work with one driver only so going to linux or even if I did have microcrap windows driver updates from Nvidia would be impossible as well. The Geforce card I have is garbage but all is fine now since the mother board has built in Intel graphics which I'm using, I'm guessing the whole reason there is on board video HP knew the Geforce cards are crap and people will have to start pulling them out and switch over to the internal Intel GPU once they update the Nvidia drivers for gaming and what not and lose video all together. I've had this problem before with Nvidia,me and a friend had both at the same time bought the same Geforce 2 cards, the boxes where the same but upon opening them we found the cards inside were a little different, my'n only worked with the drivers that came with the CD in the box well my friend's card would take the latest updates from Nvidia's site with out a problem. It's sad to see after so many years nothing has changed with Nvidia's quality control of their products and they continue to use shotty 3rd party manufactures to make their hardware.Makes you wonder how Nvidia survives as a company? Then again Microsoft puts out a sub-standard product as well and they seem to be doing too well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 9.11 won't work plz help!0