Web Flash Streams No Sound/Audio
hi

i raised a thread in the Add-Ons sub-forum, but i think the issue has progressed into a general issue with my XBMC install. anyway, this was the original thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=103694

When using the LiveOnlineFooty add-on, the picture plays fine, but i get no audio. i could references to the audio stream in the logs, so assumed it was available and had no issues starting playback. i then spent time looking at the Onkyo AVR SR578 to see if it was blocking it or had some other issue, but found nothing.

i then went down the path of finding similar web streams, to see if they played the audio. i used the LiveStream add-on, as it has many online streams to pick between.

voila - the rtmp-based swf streams had no audio, though the picture played fine here too.
if i chose an flv stream, this had no issue (like the PGA Tour.com add-on), and also if i save a stream on my PC as flv and then play this file across the network i seem to get sound too.

i have the stable release (10.1) currently installed.

do i need to have other components installed? should i switch to the SVN release? am i missing something else?

if i search my system for "*rtmp*", the only results are (and i installed rtmpdump manually this morning in an attempt to test around the issue. i dont know how to use it though! haha):
Quote:/var/cache/apt/archives/rtmpdump_2.3-2~ppa1~lucid1_i386.deb
/var/lib/dpkg/info/rtmpdump.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/rtmpdump.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/librtmp0.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/librtmp0.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/librtmp0.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/librtmp0.symbols
/var/lib/dpkg/info/librtmp0.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/librtmp0.postrm
/usr/share/doc/librtmp0
/usr/share/doc/rtmpdump
/usr/share/man/man8/rtmpgw.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/rtmpdump.1.gz
/usr/sbin/rtmpgw
/usr/sbin/rtmpsrv
/usr/sbin/rtmpsuck
/usr/lib/librtmp.so.0
/usr/bin/rtmpdump

i have also seen this thread, where the users seem to be manually compiling librtmp inside XBMC, and stating that the internal version used by XBMC is very outdated. comments on this? should i use this with my issue?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70512

hoping this means something to anyone...
I think your setup looks fine. I doubt it's to do with RTMPdump, considering the video works fine.
thanks, andy.

i was just thinking that having read the previous thread, where it was using a newer version, it may help with my issue.

i recieved an email notification of another thread which doesnt seem to have appeared here, stating that the current stable release includes this already. where would i find the actual librtmp file? is it the "/usr/lib/librtmp.so.0" file?

is there something else i can do to progress this issue? it must be working for others, as no-one else is reporting issues with either of these add-ons (well, not for a while in anycase)
i would also like to test that these streams play in firefox on the desktop, to be able to identify the root cause.

however, when i exit XBMC and return to the GNOME desktop, i typically get no sounds in firefox.

if i execute "fuser /dev/snd/*" it shows that a pulseaudio process has control of the following devices:
/dev/snd/controlC0: 2225
(where process 2225 is a 'pulsaudio --start' process)

if i kill the pulseaudio, and repeat the fuser command, i can see that a libflashplayer now takes control of the same card. however, this still doesnt playback any sound.

if i run the same commands when xbmc is running, the following device is controlled by xbmc:
/dev/snd/controlC0: 1524
/dev/snd/pcmC0D3p: 1524m
(where process 1524 is '/usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone ""')

so, to test, should i remove pulseaudio fully? there is a significant bunch of people who simply state that it works fine for them and only those that cannot configure it do this...
however, as xbmc is the primary role of this HTPC and pulseaudio is unable to handle passthrough via hdmi, i think an ALSA-only config would be acceptable.

or is there a simple way to have pulseaudio on the desktop, alsa in xbmc? and no conflicts?
even with my broken system (?!) if i return to xbmc from the gnome desktop, i get the menu sounds. on next reboot directly into XBMC, these are no longer available.

apologies for the random distractions of this thread... but audio seems to be the least well controlled on the linux platform, in my view. and i just want these web/flash streams to work within xbmc!
right - now i am d**ked off!!!

spent the entire evening reinstalling ubuntu (moved up to 10.10 from 10.04), following some users who seemed to have the same issue as me which was fixed by a reinstall, but i am in exactly same position as before!!!!!

can someone, anyone, please, if you can show any mercy in any possible way, throw me a fricking bone pleaseHuh

once ubuntu is installed, only audio things i have done is to replace the 2 files in the linked pastebin's to the following locations (following an earlier article i found about my Asus P5N7A-VM hardware and XBMC):

http://pastebin.com/UEkAdpT8
/usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

http://pastebin.com/snH48XfD
/etc/asound.conf

and then set the audio output devices in xbmc to: Custom/alsa:hdmi

on startup, i have to kill the pulseaudio process, which gets me access to alsa and stuff plays ok (which i will suppress for all startups, or whatever i need to do)

i'm at the point of quitting xbmc due to these frustrations! linux audio is entirely too complex for anyone beyond guru status. no wonder its still a minor backwater in the computing world!

are the attached files i use incorrect? if so, is there a new method? how can i troubleshoot my audio further, which should NOW be playing!!!

sorry for stern and short temparament - extremely frustrated and dissapointed currently.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Web Flash Streams No Sound/Audio0