[Powermac G5] GPU video support
Hi,

Does the PPC version of XBMC support GPU assist?
So that an old G5 can still output 1080p with a decent graphics card (7800GS)
Best,
cloud_sb Wrote:Hi,

Does the PPC version of XBMC support GPU assist?
So that an old G5 can still output 1080p with a decent graphics card (7800GS)
Best,

Yes and no. I highly doubt that PPC/G5 can play 1080p. It's the software decode using ffmpeg that is the issue.
I just tried it on a old G5 (1.6Ghz, 1GB)
A 720p clip played flawlessly (didn't check the cpu load though), a 1080p clip was pretty jerky all over the place but not unplayable.

Couldn't it be possible with the quicktime hardware acceleration, Xvmc or GLSL in the future?

As a side-note, I will gladly test new and/or improved XBMC for ppc builds on my G5 machine. Can you give me the usernames of the PPC dev's or can I just install nightly's and file in bug reports?
cloud_sb Wrote:I just tried it on a old G5 (1.6Ghz, 1GB)
A 720p clip played flawlessly (didn't check the cpu load though), a 1080p clip was pretty jerky all over the place but not unplayable.

Couldn't it be possible with the quicktime hardware acceleration, Xvmc or GLSL in the future?

As a side-note, I will gladly test new and/or improved XBMC for ppc builds on my G5 machine. Can you give me the usernames of the PPC dev's or can I just install nightly's and file in bug reports?

"quicktime hardware acceleration, Xvmc or GLSL in the future", No, No and No. There is no API to access quicktime hardware acceleration, Xvmc is a nvidia/linux API and GLSL is a OpenGL shader lang and not a video decoder. Video Display is not the same as video decode.
cloud_sb Wrote:As a side-note, I will gladly test new and/or improved XBMC for ppc builds on my G5 machine. Can you give me the usernames of the PPC dev's or can I just install nightly's and file in bug reports?

If you find a problem, the easiest is probably to start a thread in the forum.
Haven't seen any ppc specific reports lately. Hopefully most of it is covered now. Smile
xbmc.log: /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/xbmc.log
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Powermac G5] GPU video support0