Backdrops - jpgs or bmps?
HI all

I'm using the Aeon Stark skin and I sometimes notice when switching between the menu options (and therefore backdrops) it sometimes 'hangs' for just a moment and sometimes skips an selection

Alot of the HD backdrops I've got are jpgs, should I be converting these to bmp so there is no compression? Would it to make a difference?

One thing to note as well, i've got it pointing to a folder so it chooses one on by random everytime. Would that affect performance?

Cheers
I am running a fairly low power machine (ASRock ION 330) running Aeon65 and I've found that converting the backdrops from jpg to bmp makes a pretty big difference when switching between stuff on the main menu. Also if your images are at 1920x1080 resolution, try scaling them down to 1280x720. That helps a bit too, and as far as I can tell (with my eye at least) the quality is still fine.
Client: XBMCuntu Frodo - ASRock ION 330 Pro - Logitech Harmony One
Server: 4U NORCO RPC-4220 20-drive case - UnRAID 5.0 - 38 TB parity-protected storage
Cool, Im using an Ion 330 too. Cheers
Oh, also can I just change the extension to .bmp or do I need to do it with a program?
You need to convert the images with a program. If you have a windows machine somewhere I would suggest IrfanView. If not you can convert them on your ION machine with ImageMagick, but that is quite a bit more complicated.
Client: XBMCuntu Frodo - ASRock ION 330 Pro - Logitech Harmony One
Server: 4U NORCO RPC-4220 20-drive case - UnRAID 5.0 - 38 TB parity-protected storage
Check this out...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59115
Awesome, thanks guys.

I found Irfanview last night and converted, the speed difference is definitely noticeable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backdrops - jpgs or bmps?0