Bluetooth?
Sorry if this is a stupid question...

But why the remote control can`t also work with bluetooth?
Thanks
Mostly because android have been very slow with the adaption of the needed bluetooth protocols. Bluetooth should be possible in eclair and beyond but the remote was started well before that so focus was aimed at 1.5 which did not include enough bt stuff. Possibly in the future, I know atleast I'll aim against making xbmc core support BT as much as possible with the new json stuff atleast, if bt transports will be done and the remote add those modules is not decided yet though.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I see...
Thank you!
Lightbulb 
Can't we use the BT PAN profile in some way?
That way we'd be talking TCP/IP and we can leave out the BT details altogether as it would just be another network interface, right?
Djhg2000 Wrote:Can't we use the BT PAN profile in some way?
That way we'd be talking TCP/IP and we can leave out the BT details altogether as it would just be another network interface, right?

afaik yes, but problems could arise with xbmc not binding to the PAN network interface.

Second, you'd need to setup the host computer and client before even starting to use the remote and xbmc which is not very userfriendly.

thirdly, is pan even supported on android?

Still, might be an interesting workaround for now.

Cheers,
Tobias

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Has there been any development on this? I would love to be able to just use bluetooth even if it was a little hard to setup at first. Hey better to have the feature today and polish it later than not have it at all!
Not happening any time soon, because we need to stay compatible with 1.5. What advantage do you expect over TCP?
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
The advantage of not having wifi... the entire place is wired with gigabyte cat6 but I need a wifi router just to use a remote control. Also it prevents the system from being portable for example I can not simply take my tv computer somewhere and use it with my remote or I got to setup a wifi network just to have a functional remote, it is a big pain in the ass.

Also if it was added you could just make it only possible to use/enable that option on os versions higher than 1.5
Any progress on this? would love to be able to use BT with my system as well, running 2.2 froyo on my EVO, and wifi is kinda a pain, would be nice to see BT integrated into this at some point in time. Couldn't you just add a check in the code to determine what platform the app was running on, and then disable features that weren't supported/hard to set up? I know other apps, like JuiceDefender can do these checks.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
I plan to add a bluetooth transport to jsonrpc ASAP. When the remote is possible to rely solely on jsonrpc this might be possible. Personally I'd love to see bluetooth since now I don't have a wifi router aswell, just BT Smile

ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:The advantage of not having wifi... the entire place is wired with gigabyte cat6 but I need a wifi router just to use a remote control. Also it prevents the system from being portable for example I can not simply take my tv computer somewhere and use it with my remote or I got to setup a wifi network just to have a functional remote, it is a big pain in the ass.

I was thinking of possibly putting XBMC in the car, and using the phone as the only interface. Just for music.

The whole wifi situation is a big hiccup in this venture.

Also, I sometimes have a hard time getting the phone to connect to the WiFi network in my house. I can eventually get it to connect by turning off WiFi and then back on. But, sometimes I just don't have the time for that (on lunch breaks, etc).

So, Bluetooth would be nice.
Bluetooth also draws much less power than Wifi, so increases batt life.
RXP91 Wrote:Bluetooth also draws much less power than Wifi, so increases batt life.

Experienced something way different. When using BT in the car it empties my batt pretty fast.
XBMCLive Dharma beta 2 running on an ASRock ION 330 HT
00g Wrote:I was thinking of possibly putting XBMC in the car, and using the phone as the only interface. Just for music.

The whole wifi situation is a big hiccup in this venture.

Also, I sometimes have a hard time getting the phone to connect to the WiFi network in my house. I can eventually get it to connect by turning off WiFi and then back on. But, sometimes I just don't have the time for that (on lunch breaks, etc).

So, Bluetooth would be nice.

set up an adhoc network between phone and XBMC...no router needed.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bluetooth?0