Various CrystalHD Errors logged - serious stuttering and dropped frames
Attached on the following pastebin are samples of errors and warnings logged when trying to play a 1080p MKV file.

Errors/warnings that are of interest:
Code:
WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - retrieved last data packet of queue
DEBUG: CrystalHD: SetDropState... 1
DEBUG: CrystalHD: SetDropState... 0
WARNING: CRenderManager::Configure - timeout waiting for previous frame
DEBUG: CrystalHD: DtsProcInput returned BC_STS_BUSY

The last DtsProcInput message gets logged thousands of times...

My current setup is:
ATV 3.01 FW
XBMC 28256
Launcher 3.24
CrystalHD r26 drivers

720p content seems to play ok, with only the occasional stutter -- although at startup there are many dropped frames initially...

Anyone else experiencing the same?
jlemus Wrote:Attached on the following pastebin are samples of errors and warnings logged when trying to play a 1080p MKV file.

Errors/warnings that are of interest:
Code:
WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - retrieved last data packet of queue
DEBUG: CrystalHD: SetDropState... 1
DEBUG: CrystalHD: SetDropState... 0
WARNING: CRenderManager::Configure - timeout waiting for previous frame
DEBUG: CrystalHD: DtsProcInput returned BC_STS_BUSY

The last DtsProcInput message gets logged thousands of times...

My current setup is:
ATV 3.01 FW
XBMC 28256
Launcher 3.24
CrystalHD r26 drivers

720p content seems to play ok, with only the occasional stutter -- although at startup there are many dropped frames initially...

Anyone else experiencing the same?

ssh in and check cpu usage with "top"
Attached are screenshots of what I see in the logs:

I have been able to replicate the same behavior on two appleTVs, similarly configured... lots of stuttering and practically useless.

Hopefully the screenshots can shed some light..

Thanks for the help and all the hard work as always.
Here's the media info:

Quote:Format : Matroska
File size : 3.73 GiB
Duration : 2h 58mn
Overall bit rate : 2 992 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2010-03-27 06:27:06
Writing application : mkvmerge v3.1.0 ('Happy up here') built on Jan 29 2010 23:52:19
Writing library : libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Muxing mode : Container [email protected]
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 2 548 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 2 607 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.051
Stream size : 3.17 GiB (85%)
Writing library : x264 core 68 r1195M 5d75a9b
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=2607 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 490 MiB (13%)
Language : English
Have you tried playing a copy of the problem media on the local drive ?
davilla Wrote:Have you tried playing a copy of the problem media on the local drive ?

I will try that tonight and see if it's a network issue.. although I'm hardwired onto a gigabit network (I know the @tv only does Fast Ethernet) being served by a Thecus 7700 giving me 80MB/s.

I will say though that I have the same problem with other movies of the same profile. In this case, this is the LOTR trilogy - which have been ripped the same way.. 1080p seems to be an issue, and 720p is much better, only with the occasional hiccup..
jlemus Wrote:I will try that tonight and see if it's a network issue.. although I'm hardwired onto a gigabit network (I know the @tv only does Fast Ethernet) being served by a Thecus 7700 giving me 80MB/s.

I will say though that I have the same problem with other movies of the same profile. In this case, this is the LOTR trilogy - which have been ripped the same way.. 1080p seems to be an issue, and 720p is much better, only with the occasional hiccup..

Well, here's an update:

I am not sure what could cause so much variability in playback. I tried playing back the same file and it started to stutter again... I immediately stopped playback and went out of the movie back to the 'movies' listing view. I re-selected the same movie and this time the 'buffering' was almost immediate and the movie has been playing flawlessly for about 30 mins now..

What could cause this to seriously stutter one min and then play flawlessly the next on another try?
jlemus Wrote:Well, here's an update:

I am not sure what could cause so much variability in playback. I tried playing back the same file and it started to stutter again... I immediately stopped playback and went out of the movie back to the 'movies' listing view. I re-selected the same movie and this time the 'buffering' was almost immediate and the movie has been playing flawlessly for about 30 mins now..

What could cause this to seriously stutter one min and then play flawlessly the next on another try?

Item 2) at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69384 perhaps.
davilla Wrote:Item 2) at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69384 perhaps.

duh.. I feel like an idiot.

I guess I read that differently - but yes that is the behavior. I also tried copying the file locally and it's the same issue.. so I'm glad it's not network related :-)

thanks for looking into it..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Various CrystalHD Errors logged - serious stuttering and dropped frames0