Running XBMC from same external drive as content
The question I have is, Is there a way to have it point to the root of the drive? I'd like to be able to take the drive with me anywhere I go and always have my build of XBMC ready to go.
Sorta with -p portable mode. This *should* work. First, Let's assume you have XBMC installed in the root of your drive, in X:\XBMC\.

Add a batch file to the root of the drive to cd into the folder and run Xbmc with the -p switch for portable mode.

Place all your media within the Xbmc install, lets say X:\XBMC\Media\Video, X:\XBMC\Media\Music, X:\XBMC\Media\Photos.

Manually edit sources.xml and add sources with paths of "special://xbmc/media/<type>" to the appropiate media type section (video, music, photos).

That special:// url should be get translated to the local folder where xbmc is installed and then expanded out to include the rest.

However, your library will likely not work correctly as the path will be expanded out to the true path which can change depending on where you have the USB drive installed.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I moved my folders and added those sources inside xbmc, since i couldn't figure out how to properly edit the sources.xml file. It's scanning right now, I'll post results when it's finished rebuilding the library and I can test it on my gf's computer.
You need to ensure that the driver letter is the same between all computers that you connect this drive to.

Using the special:// paths was just a hack to make files view always work, regardless of the drive letter.

If you can ensure that the drive letter always remains the same then both files and library view should work without doing anything special.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Is there any way to ensure that the drive will always have the same drive letter?

As far as I've found, I can only ensure that the HDD will always be the same drive letter on my computer, with no way to set it to the device itself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running XBMC from same external drive as content0