buffering buffering buffering this is really annoying
Just a random guess here, but since it seems like a lot of people are claiming that this buffering is a new phenomenon and yet based on their transfer speeds they *should* be seeing buffering, is it possible that Camelot had a higher default buffer size for networked videos? By extension, could this problem be 'solved' by increasing the buffer size in the preferences?
alexpigment Wrote:Just a random guess here, but since it seems like a lot of people are claiming that this buffering is a new phenomenon and yet based on their transfer speeds they *should* be seeing buffering, is it possible that Camelot had a higher default buffer size for networked videos? By extension, could this problem be 'solved' by increasing the buffer size in the preferences?

Thanks for your input, but there is no buffer size in the preferences. This is something I brought up before, and elupus said that it would not be trivial to add it back in as an option, either. But regardless, most people here have been saying they *should not* be getting buffering based on their transfer speeds. I can transfer a 25 GB, 2 hour mkv movie in well under 20 minutes on my network. And if I observe the network speeds graph in the task manager, I don't notice any dropouts, so I just don't think it has anything to do with a lack of buffer size, or lack of network throughput.

So I know some things that it ISN'T Big Grin Now if I could just figure out what it IS!
digi-head Wrote:Thanks for your input, but there is no buffer size in the preferences. This is something I brought up before, and elupus said that it would not be trivial to add it back in as an option, either. But regardless, most people here have been saying they *should not* be getting buffering based on their transfer speeds. I can transfer a 25 GB, 2 hour mkv movie in well under 20 minutes on my network. And if I observe the network speeds graph in the task manager, I don't notice any dropouts, so I just don't think it has anything to do with a lack of buffer size, or lack of network throughput.

So I know some things that it ISN'T Big Grin Now if I could just figure out what it IS!

Didn't realize that option wasn't there anymore. I hadn't actually touched it since I was using a modded XBOX. Also, just so you know, I wasn't specifically referring to you when I was saying some users should be seeing buffering; it was more of the earlier posts.

Perhaps I missed it, but has anyone claiming that this a *new* behavior actually run Camelot again (via USB stick or otherwise) and verified that it doesn't happen in Camelot? I know sometimes it's hard to separate the difference between new versions and new content, as they both go hand in hand.

Again, not saying that any of this should happen for anyone. I'm just trying to facilitate some scientific findings in the hopes that it will help developers.
Hi,
using the newest stable xbmc live installed on my htpc causes the same problems (linux, XBMC live 10 installed). I have CAT6 wiring and Gbit routers. I measured at least >=45MB/s continous datatransfer from my homeserver (Windows Home Server, so in fact Windows Server 2003).

I watched an SD DVD on sunday, buffering happens 4..6x during the movie, sometimes takes about 10-20s till it continues.. horrible.

i came from MCE 7 since i was tired about all this win mce bugs but this one is a showstopper for me. i am pretty sure it is not network related.. the win 7 mediacenter installation plays movies etc. perfectly well over the same physical cable & network.

I don't like to switch back since i love the boot time & XBMC in general

Is there any progress regarding this issue ?!

Where can i download XBMC LIve 9.1x (some users notes that this release works fine for them) ?

----------

ok, found it: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc/fil...0-%209.11/
in addition to my post from 01-31, i was able to watch ~2h of video without buffering. Changes: added a gbit switch between the htpc and the gbit network cable. :confused2:

(by the way - i tried the live cd with 9.11 camelot which buffers after a few minutes, too.)
Hello, have the same buffering Problems after updating. Nerd

720p files play fine, it only appears with 1080p files every 2-5Minutes!!

wehen i press "o" the percentege of network use ist Displayed after

P(aq:39%)

or?

while buffering it says 99%

i have a Wireless Connection with 300Mbit (direct sight to the Router) an d Ubuntu 10.10
over Win7 Mediacenter everything works without buffering

someone has any ideas?

Mikenike
mikenike Wrote:Hello, have the same buffering Problems after updating. Nerd

720p files play fine, it only appears with 1080p files every 2-5Minutes!!

wehen i press "o" the percentege of network use ist Displayed after

P(aq:39%)

or?

while buffering it says 99%

i have a Wireless Connection with 300Mbit (direct sight to the Router) an d Ubuntu 10.10
over Win7 Mediacenter everything works without buffering

someone has any ideas?

Mikenike

How many other devices do you have connected wirelessly?

I had an issue with 3 apple devices bombarding my AP with Requests...
I havent seen a wireless homenetwork wich is capable of streaming high bitrate movies. your 300mbit wont be average. Did you test it with copying a large file and watch the copyspeed?
your network speed can get down veery fast, another network on same channel, a microwave, tv..( christmas tree!! no joke.. xD) so dont rely on " theres a 300mbit sticker on that thingy"

i tried 3 draftN networks to play a 30gb hd movie from a nas and it always buffers like crazy... get gigabit cable network if possible or stick to 720p files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
buffering buffering buffering this is really annoying0