Smooth 1080p60 or 720p60 Playback Possible?
Question 
Hi Folks,

Up until now I have not watched a lot of 60 fps source material using XBMC. However, now I have a new camcorder which records in 1080p at 60fps. So, I have a strong desire to get smooth playback of 60 fps material. So far, I'm unable to do so.

I have a Panasonic 50" plasma connected to my pc. The plasma accepts 1080p60 but it is only a 720p panel.

My media pc is a ASUS P5N7A-VM with an E8500 processor running at stock speeds. It's connected via HDMI. I've tried running both with VDPAU on and using software. In each case, the video is not smooth at all. The video produced is h264 encoded in a m2ts container. The bitrate peaks around 28mbs.

Is anybody running 60fps source material on a 60fps with smooth playback?

Any thoughts on what I can try to fix this?

Thanks
Matt
You didn't mention what your video hardware is.
This will be an important factor.
Might this be the new Panasonic HDC-??700 camcorder? I am planning on purchasing the SD700 and have been investigating playback options.

I'll let you know if I find any way to play back the video smoothly, but I suspect that this will require ffmpeg to support the video first.
michal Wrote:Might this be the new Panasonic HDC-??700 camcorder? I am planning on purchasing the SD700 and have been investigating playback options.

I'll let you know if I find any way to play back the video smoothly, but I suspect that this will require ffmpeg to support the video first.

You are correct. I got the Panasonic HDC-TM700. The video is absolutely stunning. So, far I have not got past the playback problem.
hikaricore Wrote:You didn't mention what your video hardware is.
This will be an important factor.

My apologies. The motherboard has an onboard NVIDIA GeForce 9300. VDPAU seems to work great for other source material.
I tried running some 720p60 material. XBMC had no troubles, my frame rate was locked at 59.94. However, when I try the recorded 1080p60 source material I don't get over 45 fps.
Another update...I used Handbrake to reencode my source video to both x264 and mpeg-4 at similar bit rates (20mb) and the same 1080 res and 60 fps.

The mpeg-4 file plays back at a silky smooth 60fps. However, the x264 reencode suffers the same problems as the original source and hovers around 45 fps.

Can VDPAU not decode h264 or x264 video 1080p60 25mbit video?
Haha, 1080p60 source material. Good luck. I think you will find that nothing with hardware acceleration will decode that.
Try playing with the desktop resolution set to the native resolution of your television, there's no benefit in setting it to anything higher anyway.
mklein49 Wrote:Another update...I used Handbrake to reencode my source video to both x264 and mpeg-4 at similar bit rates (20mb) and the same 1080 res and 60 fps.

The mpeg-4 file plays back at a silky smooth 60fps. However, the x264 reencode suffers the same problems as the original source and hovers around 45 fps.

Can VDPAU not decode h264 or x264 video 1080p60 25mbit video?

It's not the bitrate that's the problem, it the fps. Most cards, it not all, can do well above 60Mbit/s. The maximum number or frames per second is a different limitation all together. You can check your system's maximum with qvdpautest.
Question 
I see. I'm scanning the thread now. But, do you know off hand if any of the graphics cards support decoding 1080p at 60 fps?
nvidia GT 220, look for results in the test for the VDPAU testing tool. Lot's of different results from graphics cards to compare.
In my experience it's the texture memory bandwidth that's the problem, if you decrease the desktop resolution the vdpau pixmap is smaller so less bandwidth is required.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smooth 1080p60 or 720p60 Playback Possible?0