"VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion" - which setting to use ?
I have different video material (some - mine DVD/ DVD rips, some - downloaded BD rips encoded god knows by whom and how, some - old SD divx 700 MB movies / tv shows).

My projector (PAN AE4000U) has "HDMI Mode" settings - which can be normal or expanded. They recommend using "normal" mode, but I suppose it should be "coordinated" with XBMC mode, and probably video material that I play (may be ambient light as well).

Playing with the settings while my wife watched SD-quality tv show ("desperate housewives") I got an impression the winning combination is to clear "VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion" setting, and choose "Expanded" mode on projector. The picture gets a bit brighter and shadow details are better. Test was done in the light controlled room in the middle of a day, room was rather dark but not completely dark. Projector was in Color1 / Eco lamp mode (its most dark setting I think).

In theory I can test all 4 combinations myself, but I suspect they depend on the played material as well, and I'd like to understand which mode should be used for what (probably - when relative to ambient lighting), instead of trying to change them in the middle of the movie realizing something is wrong.

In windows I think I is supposed to choose 16-255 (or something like this) in NVIDIA control panel, "Normal" on projector and it should be OK for all video material (don't understand why it is independent from video encoding).

Somebody got any clues ?
You should turn vdpau studio level conversion off, and then set your beamer to the mode that makes it use the full 0-255 range.
Thumbs Up 
bobo1on1 Wrote:You should turn vdpau studio level conversion off, and then set your beamer to the mode that makes it use the full 0-255 range.

So it agrees with my visual impression. Strange that projector manufacturer recommends using "normal" mode. May be it is optimized for BD/DVD players, who knows.
10x for the answer, I think it is worth to be placed in FAQ/Wiki - I saw several questions about this issue but you just gave first definitive anwser:o

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion" - which setting to use ?0