[LINUX] Apple TV Try the Linux way or wait for 10.05
First of all,thanks to Davilla and others devs for the great work!
Using the ATV,Crystal HD,the latest SVN and driver...very happy about it...but the still unfixed memleak and the occasional stuttering is the only barrier between me and my personal video-nirvana (or NerdVana-see The Big Bang Theory Smile ).
I am a mac user and never used linux,i would like to try this tutorial
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...he_AppleTV
what do you think about it? Are the stuttering problem fixed under linux?
Pro and con? Triky to install or setup?
And what about the old install,do i loose my xbmc,nitotv,afp,etc etc setup or it's saved in the backup?
Or simply wait for the official 10.05 release? I know it's still under development and nothing is sure,but any suggestion is appreciated.
Thx for support!
Most of the code is the same between the Linux and OSX versions. The driver is slightly different, but all of the XBMC bugs are still there.

You won't hit the memory leak in Linux, but the occasionally stuttering still happens.

Don't assume the Linux version is any more 'done' than the OSX version. Smile This is scheduled to go into the 10.05 version and is still under development. It's a whole lot better than it was and continues to improve.

I find it very usable at this point. Just have to pause/resume every 20 minutes or so when it starts stuttering. Sure makes my ATV useful.
I think that with only 256 MB even with LINUX and after resolving all possible software issues there is a good chance that the ATV won't be able to play [email protected] 1080p and definitely will not play anything higher
Even if broadcom chip would decode it the GPU still has to display all the pixels and I am not sure that the ATV has the muscle for that amount of work
A WD TV has 512 MB and a dedicated chip set and plays 1080p fine but our ATV have a slower CPU with only 1GHz and half memory
I believe that 720p instead is and will play great on the ATV
interceptor121 Wrote:I think that with only 256 MB even with LINUX and after resolving all possible software issues there is a good chance that the ATV won't be able to play [email protected] 1080p and definitely will not play anything higher
Even if broadcom chip would decode it the GPU still has to display all the pixels and I am not sure that the ATV has the muscle for that amount of work
A WD TV has 512 MB and a dedicated chip set and plays 1080p fine but our ATV have a slower CPU with only 1GHz and half memory
I believe that 720p instead is and will play great on the ATV

What?

The ATV has plenty of muscle to display all pixels for a 1080p image. I watch them regularly on my ATV with Linux and a CrystalHD card. If the CrystalHD card can decode it, the ATV has the power to display it.

Actually in the use case you could argue the higher the bitrate the harder it'd be for the ATV to handle since it'll take slightly more cpu and bandwidth to push the data into the card. Once it's decoded 1080p is 1080p as far as the processor is concerned.

My 1080p material is mostly [email protected] and they all playback great.

Killa sample fails, but it's because of the reference frames, not the [email protected] profile level. The card doesn't have the memory for more than about 10 (claims Davilla... I haven't tested)
I correct myself it will play but unlikely to display 1080p because of the minimum ram of the display card
I would like to see your logs dan1son out if curiosity
interceptor121 Wrote:I correct myself it will play but unlikely to display 1080p because of the minimum ram of the display card
I would like to see your logs dan1son out if curiosity

Sure... I'll try to get something for ya tonight. Can't really control the SVN builds remotely due to the web interfaces being replaced by JSONRPC.
1080p video output works just fine under Linux. It's been confirmed by a whole bunch of people.
I'm not sure there is a need for a ton of video memory since the Crystal HD decoder is passing decoded frames to the video card.

For comparison purposes the original WDTV (sigma based) has 100MB of RAM for the entire system, the S3 TiVo (broadcom based) has 128MB of ram for the entire system, and the original Popcorn Hour (sigma based) has 256MB of ram for the entire system.

The AppleTV has 256MB of system RAM and 64MB of video ram so I see no reason to believe that it wouldn't be able to display 1080p video with the assistance of the broadcom decoder. As long as the stream can be decoded by the Crystal HD it should be able to play properly.
Fair enough. So we are left with the EDID issue for the ATV
interceptor121 Wrote:Fair enough. So we are left with the EDID issue for the ATV

What EDID issue?

BTW, I didn't get a chance to run a movie on the ATV last night... wife's car needed some belts replaced.
dan1son Wrote:What EDID issue?

won't display 1080p under frontrow/ATV OS
*sigh* , it's NOT an EDID issue.
All right Guru Davilla. I think your advice on. The Linux or Mac OS for the ATV would be useful
If you can't chill and wait for davilla to figure out the 1080p issue in frontrow then go linux. Otherwise I would stick with frontrow. The mem leak will get fixed in time and so will the 1080p issues. Just stick back and enjoy movies on your appletv. :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Try the Linux way or wait for 10.050