5.1 sound with live
Hi

I just got Logitech x-530 speakers and hooked them up to the jacks on my pc's motherboard. This is on my HTPC which runs live installed to the hard drive. the PC has Realtek ALC658 5.1 channel audio on the motherboard. things don't sound right, am I missing something?
Update

I looked in alsamixer settings and it was set to 2ch so I changed it to 6ch and saved that. Should surround be shared or independant? I'm still not getting surround, the center speaker is not doing anything and the other speakers are getting the sound effects etc but there is no sound when someone is talking which i assume should come through the center speaker?

Would love some help with this, It's pissing down outside and I'm off work.

On a side note can anyone recommend a sound card which will work out of the box with the 5.1 jacks with Alsa/Ubuntu/Xbmc HuhHuh

Cheers
i got an x-fi card and put that in, no sound whatsoever. So i tried to update alsa to the latest one using info here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51514 and xbmc wouldn't restart, very small white dialog box which in center of screen which I couldnt read. Done a fresh install of XBMC, still nothing. Do I need to update ALSA?

Anyone got any advice?
Make sure that the internal sound adapter is disabled in the BIOS.
Ye I did that too still nothing. When I try playing a movie I get an error message popping up saying "failed to initialise audio device"

Cheers
How do I get the alsa setting to save? When I save them using "sudo alsactl store 0" they seem to be reset when XBMC restarts, as if they get put back to default.

Making a tiny amount of progress here. When I exit XBMC and in the command screen bring up the alsamixer, mute IEC958 and run the speaker test for 5.1 surround I get a female voice coming out the speakers one at a time in a cycle. The speakers are mixed up but I'll worry about that next. Thing is when I save the settings (with IEC958 muted) like I said above and reboot the PC and XBMC loads, sound doesn't work anymore and If I come back out and fire up alsamixer, IEC958 has went back to unmuted.
So last night I had XBMC running and I dropped out to the command screen with CTL ALT F1 and muted IEC958 in alsamixer. Switching back to XBMC with ALT CTL F10 and playing a 5.1 movie I get full surround sound (yipee) albeit with a few of the speakers being mixed up. So the problem is alsamixer will not save the settings as when I reboot the settings are back to default.
Just incase anyone is interested I managed to get alsamixer to save by doing it from root. 5.1 analog sound all fine now.
I know old thread.
But I am "anyone" who has to know how you managed to get sound out of your xfi 5.1...
I had it once, tried windows 7 and xbmc and now want to go back to the live one... but i forgot how tp get sound out of the xfi 5.1...

many thanks for sharing your solution

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 sound with live0