[LIVE] USB Hard Drive not detected
Hi,

I've been running XBMC Live 9.11 on my Acer Aspire Revo 3600 for some time now with a 1TB external HDD attached to the machine. I booted up today and for some reason the Hard Drive is no longer detected by my XBMC Live install. I've tried running a Ubuntu live disk which does see the drive and is able to access it as normal, so I'm fairly certain the problem is with my XBMC live installation (installed on Hard Drive), the problem is though that I have no idea how to fix it! Does anybody know how I could get it working again (avoiding reinstall if possible, but will do if necessary)?

Thanks,

Bug
Have you changes anything, added any applications?
The obvious why to test if a clean xbmcLive is working is to load a liveCD.
vikjon0 Wrote:Have you changes anything, added any applications?
The obvious why to test if a clean xbmcLive is working is to load a liveCD.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to say that I added Samba for sharing the internal drive and also Firefox along with the Launcher plugin.
If you install gnome it will break usb mount and firefox will drag in enough gnome to break it.
you need to do install --no-install-recommends firefox to get only firefox
vikjon0 Wrote:If you install gnome it will break usb mount and firefox will drag in enough gnome to break it.
you need to do install --no-install-recommends firefox to get only firefox

Thanks. I've removed firefox with apt-get remove --purge firefox, but it didn't seem to fix the problem. Any idea how to get it working or is a reinstall looking necessary?
did remove --purge firefox remove all the packages that was installed with it? I am not an expert but woukd guess not. I think normally you will see some text when you purge firefox that some packages are not necessary and should be removed with apt-get autoremove or autoclean.
Maybe that will do it, otherwise they have to be manully removed or the system re-installed. To manually remove you can just google what is the recommends for for firefox,
i tried to install firefox and launcher on my xbmc live box, and now it won't read my external drive. i tried apt-get remove firefox purge or something, but it didnt work.

is there a list of all the files that firefox installs so i can manually remove them?
sortd, thank god. i'll post what i did incase it helps someone.

logged in a the user, ran remove --purge firefox but didn't work, so ran sudo remove --purge firefox and it came up with a tonne of files, and it told me to run apt-get autoremove, so i did. then rebooted and all fine
Quote:is there a list of all the files that firefox installs so i can manually remove them?

Probably but I dont know how. If you have another machine you can initiate the installation and note the packages and then abort.

EDITConfusedolved in prev post.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] USB Hard Drive not detected0