How to have Apple TV recognize my USB with movies on it?
Tranquil Wrote:I think maybe the problem I am having is I don't know how Mac's operate at all, I've only used PC's. Second, I don't know how to access frontrow, I think these two issues are the reason why I am clueless how to do anything.

Also you say go to XBMC and add a source (to access my USB), this I now how to get to... But, when I go to this menu it asks for a name or location, which I don't know either, how do I the locate my USB?

Here is a picture of what I see which hopefully will help this.

Basically I think, if anyone is willing to take the time, please explain how to do things as if I'm a 2 year old just learning computers.

I mean I know PC's pretty well, I have been able to do pretty much anything with minimal help but this ATV... it has me, I'm confused, it sucks being a noob... Sorry guys.

Also I can take more pictures if needed just let me know what I need to do and I'm there!

Frontrow is what you see there in your second picture with all the menus. The menu you're looking for looks like it's off screen way off to the left. Even when you get the leftmost shown there, keep going left and there'll be more menus that will show up. It's that there's just too many to show up on your screen at the same time.

When you go to add a source, use add a source and then 'browse' and the drive should show up in the list that shows up. If not, restart the ATV with the drive disconnected, and then connect it after it's started up and then it will show up. Just select it, tell XBMC what's on it and viola everything should show up.

Now if you have multiple files on there (like movies and music), I like to put mine in separate folders and then add the folders rather than the drive itself. That's just me and I like things neat and tidy.

I didn't need to do what interceptor121 is saying to do when I installed it myself, but having it in r/w mode helps later on.
what's inside "Volumes" ?
The steps I gave you download and install Nito
to put disk in read write issue ssh:
sudo mount -uw /
when finished installing nito:
sudo mount -u /
you will probably need a 1.0 recovery image too for USB support but am unsure see how you get on with smart installer first
in 3.0.2 software menu crashes so you will need to install Nito manually
Tranquil Wrote:I searched these forums and couldn't find a topic about this, if there is already one please point in the right direction.

I just purchased an Apple TV, I have a computer that runs WinXP, and I just installed XBMC on my aTV.

My question is when I put a movie on my USB drive how do I make XBMC recognize that I plugged in my USB drive with movies on it.

When I go to the menu of XBMC I click on videos but it doesn't recognize that I have a USB drive with movies on it.

I hope that was enough information, if not let me know.

Thanks!

Install software menu ( usually done when you use the boot flash to install Launcher). Now upgrade software menu ( you need the latest in order to manage 3rd party plugins without crashing the ATV). Now install NitoTV. You will then run the Smart Installer from NotoTV. Before doing that you have to place MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.9Intel.dmg and recovery.dmg in the Documents folder of the frontrow user. The recovery.dmg folder is the tricky one as it is a modified file using the ATV 1.0 recovery disk image. That one has the necessary files to activate AFP serving, etc...and USB. If you use a later recovery disk image it doesn't have all the networking drivers required and I "think" it won't have all the usb drivers. See the discussion over at http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Main_Page .

philip
As I said software menu does not work in 3.0.2 so Nito needs to be installed manually
interceptor121 Wrote:As I said software menu does not work in 3.0.2 so Nito needs to be installed manually

Works just fine on mine. When I installed everything, I was on 3.0.2 and used the latest patchstick and I didn't have to ssh in to install nitoTV, I downloaded it from the ATV menu.
interceptor121 Wrote:As I said software menu does not work in 3.0.2 so Nito needs to be installed manually

That's if you don't use the updated version. Perhaps it's just a fluke that it worked with me. Are you sure you used the updated software menu? Both it and Overflow were updated. Very nice utilities.

philip
It is the first time I hear someone with sm working in 3.0.2 the latest version specifically is malfunctional by admission of it's own developer
it used to work in 3.0.1 but now chrashes no matter which version is after you make the first install from it and then the 3rd party section becomes unavailable
could be a permission issue but I doubt it
in any case once you have Nito running you don't actually need software menu
This thread makes me feel like my head is about to explode. I am in the same boat and this thread really gave no insight, in fact it made matters worse. I see a lot of people posting shorthand but not really expanding on what they are talking about.

Can we just restore the ATV and install an older version of the patch stick and go back to using the remote to install NitoTv? Why was this feature removed? Why do people think that just because someone can make a patch stick and get XBMC on a $99 device that they have any interest or ability to understand terminal commands at a glance in this thread?

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that it was easier last year to do the same exact thing that now seems impossible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to have Apple TV recognize my USB with movies on it?0