Looking for Remote
Hi!

My last thread about this topic has already been archived, so i'm opening a new one.

I'm looking for a good solution to control my xbmc with a remote.

I only have two special requierements about the remote:

- i would like to type words. like sms on the old mobile phones.
- it shouldn't be to expensive (the complete solution including receiver)

Other features are just standard i think (Info-Button, Play, Pause, etc.)

I have the following receiver at home:
- Bluetooth dongle
- IR Receiver from mice and keyboard (but i think this receiver will not work with a remote)

I don't care about the producer of the remote, i don't care about if it's a harmony or not.

I just want a remote solution for my requierements and easy to set up. Easy doesn't meen Plug&Play, but i don't want to configure configfiles for hours.

Thanks for your help.
Well, I use the Gyration Air Music remote. You can get it with the accompanying keyboard for typing. It's not attached to the remote, but it isn't huge. I have three of these remotes and they work good out of the box. I just use them for the basic use, nothing to fancy. I only have one keyboard and I can take it to any of my HTPC's and it works.
The Air remote is about $50, with keyboard it's a little over $100. I am not sure this is what you are looking for, but it works better then my harmony does.
SHen350 Wrote:Well, I use the Gyration Air Music remote. You can get it with the accompanying keyboard for typing. It's not attached to the remote, but it isn't huge. I have three of these remotes and they work good out of the box. I just use them for the basic use, nothing to fancy. I only have one keyboard and I can take it to any of my HTPC's and it works.
The Air remote is about $50, with keyboard it's a little over $100. I am not sure this is what you are looking for, but it works better then my harmony does.

hm, would be a good solution, but i think, i can't buy this remote in switzerland Sad
If you really want a keyboard how about using a bluetooth keyboard/mouse? I use one of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keysonic-540BT-b...092&sr=8-1

I'm using it with a Mac Mini that has Bluetooth built in, but Bluetooth dongles aren't expensive.

JR
You mention the Harmony remotes... so I'm wondering if you know about them then why not use them? I use one, and it is perfect. It works out of the box with a MCE USB receiver (which isn't expensive) and emulating the MCE remote. Then of course you can use it with other components as well.

In terms of SMS text entry - doesn't XBMC support that natively? I think that it can be configured to do SMS style text entry on text input fields through the standard number pad. I remember reading that once, but haven't tried it myself.

I've recently bought a Logitech Dinovo mini bluetooth keyboard, and that works great, but it is apprently kind of expensive in some markets.
Lenovo Multimedia Remote With Keyboard for $60 - 40% off coupon USPCA16336 = $36 with free shipping. Since I dont know where they ship this is just an example.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/contr...57Y6336%26
jhsrennie Wrote:If you really want a keyboard how about using a bluetooth keyboard/mouse? I use one of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keysonic-540BT-b...092&sr=8-1

I'm using it with a Mac Mini that has Bluetooth built in, but Bluetooth dongles aren't expensive.

JR
hm, keyboard and mouse need to much space, i would like to have something small like a remote.

AaronD Wrote:You mention the Harmony remotes... so I'm wondering if you know about them then why not use them? I use one, and it is perfect. It works out of the box with a MCE USB receiver (which isn't expensive) and emulating the MCE remote. Then of course you can use it with other components as well.

In terms of SMS text entry - doesn't XBMC support that natively? I think that it can be configured to do SMS style text entry on text input fields through the standard number pad. I remember reading that once, but haven't tried it myself.

I've recently bought a Logitech Dinovo mini bluetooth keyboard, and that works great, but it is apprently kind of expensive in some markets.
If anybody could confirm, that is possible to write text with a harmony and a mce receiver, i would buy this solution...

SlaveUnit Wrote:Lenovo Multimedia Remote With Keyboard for $60 - 40% off coupon USPCA16336 = $36 with free shipping. Since I dont know where they ship this is just an example.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/contr...57Y6336%26
Looks great, but no way to get this in switzerland... Sad
Basileus Wrote:hm, would be a good solution, but i think, i can't buy this remote in switzerland Sad

Why not. Try one of the Amazon (Europe) sites (there are both German and French sites which might just have what you need).
steelman1991 Wrote:Why not. Try one of the Amazon (Europe) sites (there are both German and French sites which might just have what you need).

They don't deliver hardware to switzerland.
Well there you go - what's up are your Euro's no good to them?
steelman1991 Wrote:Well there you go - what's up are your Euro's no good to them?

Don't know Big GrinBut they have their storehouse in germany, so perhaps it's a problem for them to send big packages over the border by post.
Not cheap but pretty cool, I use my iphone to run XBMC
iso13 Wrote:Not cheap but pretty cool, I use my iphone to run XBMC

I have an android device with the xbmc control software, but it isn't realy comfortable...

As I said, if somebody could confirm that text typing with a harmony is possible, i will buy this solution!
Basileus Wrote:I have an android device with the xbmc control software, but it isn't realy comfortable...

As I said, if somebody could confirm that text typing with a harmony is possible, i will buy this solution!

It is, it's built into XBMC or you can set it up manually with eventghost (alot more work, but more customizable).
LyndonW Wrote:It is, it's built into XBMC or you can set it up manually with eventghost (alot more work, but more customizable).

Ok, thank you! So i have to buy a harmony. Which one i need? There are several modells. Or is it equal which one i choose (= typing and other functionality is the same with all harmony's in xbmc?)

And the receiver, do i have to buy one or is it provided with the harmony? if not, which one i have to buy?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for Remote0