remote.xml/keyboard.xml - editing doesn't work :( what am i doing wrong??
Hey there!

Now i know this is brought up often, and i'm sorry! either what i'm doing is very wrong... or i'm only half wrong Wink

i run xbmc (camelot) on my ubuntu server (karmic) with no problems, and normally great success!

anyways, I recently purchased a cheap remote from Maplin (UK) its a MCE remote so works outta the box with xbmc and ubuntu, great!

But i want to map the big green start button to make xbmc go to the "home" screen. I have tried editing the remote.xml and saving to both

~.xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml

~.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml

neither with any success!! I have edited line 60 so it reads:

<start>VK_ESCAPE</start>

the vk_escape i got from here

and i have also tried to use command XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home) and HomeMenu and Home!!!

this is rather frustrating Sad

Anybody like to give me a pointer? I have found the wiki's to be useful in describing how to change the keymap, where to find the keymap, but not what to change it too Sad
I think that the right file must be

.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keymap.xml

then the structure file must be something like this:
<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<button>action</button>
</keyboard>
<remote>
<button>action</button>
</remote>
</global>
</keymap>

It's written here
yes that is correct Smile

however the default file in /usr/system/keymap/keyboard.xml or remote.xml already contain all the configurations... that's why i'm using them as a template, but when i make a change it is not tranfered to xbmc! (yes i have been restarting it Wink )
may not be a solution but when setting up a keymap for my joystick this is how i went about it
  1. ## set the log level to get usefull info
    Code:
    curl "http://xbmc:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=SetLogLevel(1)"
  2. ## ssh to xbmc & follow the log
    Code:
    tail -f ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
  3. ## move your keymap somewhere out of xbmc's range & refresh the button maps
    Code:
    curl "http://xbmc:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=Action(203)"
  4. ## push buttons, watch the log, see what it registers
  5. ## hack at your keymap.xml & put it back in the right place
  6. curl action203 to refresh again & test your changes

wash, rinse repeat 3-4-5-6 until madness or euphoria Wink
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
gobbledigook Wrote:Hey there!

Now i know this is brought up often, and i'm sorry! either what i'm doing is very wrong... or i'm only half wrong Wink

i run xbmc (camelot) on my ubuntu server (karmic) with no problems, and normally great success!

anyways, I recently purchased a cheap remote from Maplin (UK) its a MCE remote so works outta the box with xbmc and ubuntu, great!

But i want to map the big green start button to make xbmc go to the "home" screen. I have tried editing the remote.xml and saving to both

~.xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml

~.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml

neither with any success!! I have edited line 60 so it reads:

<start>VK_ESCAPE</start>

the vk_escape i got from here

and i have also tried to use command XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home) and HomeMenu and Home!!!

this is rather frustrating Sad

Anybody like to give me a pointer? I have found the wiki's to be useful in describing how to change the keymap, where to find the keymap, but not what to change it too Sad

you should not use the "key code"
use the key name.

Look at some of the lirc and related files posted in these forums.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
remote.xml/keyboard.xml - editing doesn't work :( what am i doing wrong??0