Refresh rate / Best settings for XBMC?
Hi All,

What is the general consensus on matching the refresh rate of the display automatically to the content? Good? Bad?

I tried this out and my TV can handle 24/1080p, so when i setup XBMC to do so, the TV flickered and then display 24/1080P in the top right.

Will this make a movie "look" better so to speak than the standard rates?

Is there a guide out there for the best settings to configure in the XBMC setings?
My sig last link

uNi
(2013-04-02, 22:33)uNiversal Wrote: My sig last link

uNi

What is the point of this though?

And does it apply to intel HD4000?
Im not sure about the xorg.conf but everything else should be fine.

Its a good thing to match refresh rate and sync to display etc.

uNi
(2013-04-02, 22:50)Pasoa2021 Wrote:
(2013-04-02, 22:33)uNiversal Wrote: My sig last link

uNi

What is the point of this though?

And does it apply to intel HD4000?
The point is to have the frame rate of the video match the frame rate your TV is running at, so as to eliminate glitches in playback.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@nickr: actually it's the other way around, you want the TVs refresh rate to adapt to the one of the video you're watching.
Yes that's probably a better way of explaining it!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Great.

Does anyone have a detailed explanation of what each setting does in the Video/Audio settings in XBMC, and which are typically "best"?
Nothing is 'typically best', it really depends on your hardware.

You can get issues if the settings you choose do not match the capabilities of the hardware you have, and you can also miss out on some great features (audio bitstreaming, sync display to video) by not setting up stuff your hardware does support.

To answer your original question:
1) Audio bitstreaming - I think audio bitstreaming is excellent if it works for you; It puts the decoding of (for instance) 5.1 DTS sound at your AV-receiver, which has the hardware to do so without hickups or delays.
2) Syncing display to video - It changes your display to have exactly 23.976 frames per second, so that there is never ever a frame that needs to be dropped or shown longer on screen. This takes less work for the mediacentre and provides you with the view the author of the video material intended. It also usually removes A/V sync issues, where spoken words and mouth movements might be slightly 'off'.

In both cases: if you are happy with the audio and video you have, and are not very knowledgable in these subjects, just leave it as it is. If you dislike the video resolution switching you see happening, same. If you think you have the hardware and are not afraid to learn and start over if you fail: by all means join the crowd Smile

ps. have you seen these pages in the wiki?
Video_playback (wiki)
Settings/Videos#Playback (wiki)
Settings/System#Video_output (wiki)
Settings/System#Audio_output (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refresh rate / Best settings for XBMC?0