• 10(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO launch applications from XBMC Live (e.g. Firefox)
@sdsnyr94 I've messed around and I seem to have a situation that is mostly working. My biggest issue right now is that using the newest svn version of launcher I can't seem to get squeezeplay to have focus. I know that I can press the \ key and that switches focus, but I'm trying to find an all remote solution. Any ideas?
vikjon0 Wrote:No, it works fine for me with Beta4.
Use the executor instead of launcher and follow the instructions from that on.

The only suggestion I have is to check for updates on the executor.
If fluxbox does not close after ff, you are doing it wrong.
It happened once that I lost the mouse, but after reboot it has worked again.

The only problem I have is an overscan issue that I hope can be fixed by another nvidia driver version.

I have the same overscan issue.. Here is what i did to fix it...

I have nvidia Intigrated GF9300 on my Zotac Mobo.
Nvidia Drivers 195.36.24

Since drivers 190.x , nvidia-settings includes an "OVERSCAN COMPENSATION" slider. i slide mine to about 97 and everything works fine..

1.) Open nvidia-settings using a SHELL terminal inside FLUXBOX.
2.) Go to DFP-1 near the button. You will see there a Slider for OVerScan Compensation. Slide it until you can see your entire screen.
3.) The settings only stick for the current X session. If you quit firefox and Fluxbox, the settings will still remain since your X session didn't die. However If you completely shutdown X by restarting XBMC, or the entire machine, the overscan will return to default. Thankfully Nvidia-Settings creates a config file after you apply your settings and saves it at ~/.nvidia-settings-rc

~/.nvidia-settings-rc

Code:
#
# /home/..../.nvidia-settings-rc
#
# Configuration file for nvidia-settings - the NVIDIA X Server Settings utility
# Generated on Wed Dec 22 02:11:56 2010
#

# ConfigProperties:

0/BlueGamma=1.000000
0/DigitalVibrance[DFP-1]=0
0/ImageSharpening[DFP-1]=127
0/GPUScaling[DFP-1]=65537
[b]0/OverscanCompensation[DFP-1]=97[/b]
0/XVideoTextureBrightness=0
0/XVideoTextureContrast=0
0/XVideoTextureHue=0
0/XVideoTextureSaturation=0

We can ask nvidia-settings to load that config file for us right after launching FLUXBOX by updating the Firefox Launcher Script to the following:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
fluxbox &
[b]nvidia-settings -l[/b]
firefox
killall -9 fluxbox

-l, --load-config-only
Load the configuration file, send the values specified therein to the X
server, and exit.

TIPS:
** hold ALT + MOUSE_CLICK to drag windows around if your overscan is very severe ..
** right click on FluxBox desktop to open Menu and then a SHELL

If you really want to get creative.. The alternate fix for your overscan is to specify your own modlines in xorg..
You'll have to retrive your monitors EDID bin file using nvidia-settings and then read the modline frequencies using MonInfo
http://entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
Follow this thread (good info here, but too old, for older drivers. I'd just stick with the slider in the new Nvidia Drivers
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1003099&page=4
jonkeane Wrote:@sdsnyr94 I've messed around and I seem to have a situation that is mostly working. My biggest issue right now is that using the newest svn version of launcher I can't seem to get squeezeplay to have focus. I know that I can press the \ key and that switches focus, but I'm trying to find an all remote solution. Any ideas?

I switched from Launcher to Executor (In the Add-Ons) because it has options to stop LIRC and set XBMC in Windowed mode, which seems to keep Squeezeplay as the "in focus" app. I then use 'irxevent' to send the remote functions to Squeezeplay.
this seems related:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=4...post485793
sdsnyr94 Wrote:I switched from Launcher to Executor (In the Add-Ons) because it has options to stop LIRC and set XBMC in Windowed mode, which seems to keep Squeezeplay as the "in focus" app. I then use 'irxevent' to send the remote functions to Squeezeplay.

Ah! I see that setting now! That makes sense. Ok, this gets me one step closer, although, I don't think I have fully solved the focus issue (I don't think the window is really focused, it's just above xbmc. When I use hulu desktop in a similar fashion the curser will never fade away unless I click anywhere in the hulu window, and then it does fade away like it's programmed to do by hulu.), this will at least stop xbmc from continuing to get remote input. Thanks for the info, I'll keep digging about this focus issue.
^ will unclutter get rid of the curser ?
so I am having problems getting sound working on firefox as well as VLC. My sound works fine on XBMC. i have added the .asoundrc file to the home directory. I didn't understand this last part on the instructions where they list the "defaults.pcm.device 3" line. Where in the code does that go exactly? this might not be my issue though. please help!

vikjon0 Wrote:or perhaps:
Code:
defaults.pcm.device 3
3 = the hdmi device number
In home directory open a file with the command:

nano .asoundrc
I've just upgraded my XBMC-Live and sound in firefox worked first time. 2 hours later its failing all over the place.

I just checked .asoundrc and ensured it is as on Page1. IE
1. In home directory.
This is /home/<username>
NOT /home/xbmc (**)
2. .asoundrc should contain
defaults.pcm.device 3

We'll see how long that works for...

(**) May be safer to put the same in /home/xbmc !?
(In Dharma use the executer)
-----------------------------
Go to program / program plugin / launcher / add new launcher => select the script

I am stuck in this section above. When I start Executor plugin I cannot access
the directory /home/xbmc/scripts to select the firefox.sh...?
The /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp is the highest in the "directory tree" I can get
with Executor.

It has to be something simple but I cannot figure it out..

Br, Zemy
Ok, I managed to go with it and it is working just as it should.

The remaining problem is the same as someone else had too in this thread,
the DPI option doesn´t do anything and the reading and using is hard from normal watching distance. Did someone solve this?
I have a common Zotac IONITX board and it is connected via HDMI to
Panasonic 46" Plasma (1920x1080 resolution).

Help would be gratefully appreciated...

Br, Zemy
@vikjon0 - Thanks for this post. I used it to set up Google Chrome by replacing ff with gc command just as you say. After a bit of twiddling (using Executor instead of Launcher,) Chrome fires up just fine.

Only one thing though (isn't there always ;-) ) The chrome tool menu is amazingly small, like 1 or 2 pixels . The main browser display is just fine, i.e. window titles and browser content. Is this an X11, Fluxbox or Chrome issue in your experience? Googling around all three is not bringing much joy. I really suspect it might be Chrome as using the Fluxbox right-click menu is fine.

Anyway, if you or anyone else has a suggestion (like does anyone know where the definitive guide to chrome config file is?) I'd be happy to follow through and try and resolve

Cheers
A
System info: Asrock ION330HT-BD (Intel Atom 330 4 core i686) connected to Sony KDL-Z5800 TV using hdmi via Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Amp. [Old Config Ubuntu 12.04. (Linux 3.2.0-32-generic-pae ) XBMCBuntu (Eden 11.0 Git:unknown Compiled Mar 24 2012). OpenGL 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13] New Config unknown - no working XBMC at moment!
Quote:The chrome tool menu is amazingly small, like 1 or 2 pixels .

Is that not also fixed by changing DPI in xorg.conf?
vikjon0 Wrote:Is that not also fixed by changing DPI in xorg.conf?

No. Dpi changes the display of fluxbox menu. In my case not having it is just fine although I did try several other settings to see the difference.

A
System info: Asrock ION330HT-BD (Intel Atom 330 4 core i686) connected to Sony KDL-Z5800 TV using hdmi via Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Amp. [Old Config Ubuntu 12.04. (Linux 3.2.0-32-generic-pae ) XBMCBuntu (Eden 11.0 Git:unknown Compiled Mar 24 2012). OpenGL 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13] New Config unknown - no working XBMC at moment!
I'm using XBMC on a minimal Ubuntu install, pretty much like described here. This comes with an automatic start of XBMC, but without fluxbox.

Before messing up my otherwise working setup, I have to ask. Will "apt-get install fluxbox" corrupt my autostarting of XBMC, and if so, would it be sufficient to run "apt-get purge xbmc-live" and then "apt-get install xbmc-live" to fix this again?

Thanks!
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO launch applications from XBMC Live (e.g. Firefox)3