Here how it goes.

I just recently built myself a new HTPC and I have inside the following:

AMD Athlon II X2 240e
Gigabyte GA-MA770 UD3
Sapphire Radeon HD5750 Vapor-X
Mushkin 2x2GB DDR2
HDD 250Gb
PSU Cooler Master 500W

Everything is running on Windows 7, all updates, DX updated, latest Catalayst drivers 10-03.

All is working well and system is stable. I have to mention that XBMC is working well, all videos are playing well like mkv, avi. Original DVDs inserted into the DVD-RW unit are also playing without a problem. There is only one very strange problem with DVD's that are ripped to disk.

When I press play on the DVD, it start to play normally and it goes through these introduction clips and there comes to the root menu of the movie without a problem. There I can select PLAY movie, PLAY individual scenes etc. Now if I press PLAY movie, the picture goes black, OSD is working, sound is playing, I can also go forward, but problem is that picture stays black.

What is very strange is this. Now I press stop the video then I exit XBMC and re-enter again and then I press play on that very same DVD rip and I select RESUME FROM THE POSITION that I stopped watching it and now everything is well video picture is normal and I can watch the movie.

It is also normal if I start to watch from individual selection of scenes it will start normally without black screen.

Otherwise the same DVD rips are playing without a problem in PowerDVD and also on my XboX XBMC.

I tried to uninstall XBMC and to do a fresh install of it and it did not helped me. What else can I do? Could someone please help me here with this very strange problem?

Your help is very much appreciated, tnx!
bye, d.
I just tried from scratch. Only fresh Win 7, ATI catalyst's, XBMC 9.11 which automatically updated also DirectX libraries and problem still persists. I really don't know why my ripped DVDs have black picture if i start them from the DVD menu, then if i stop and resume picture is normal. I'm puzzled Confused.

anyone with some suggestion?
cau, d.
Hey,
Just want to mention here that I managed to solve this issue with DVDs being black when starting from the main menu. I downloaded the nightly version xbmc-r28256-trunk from 1.3.2010 and this version works OK.

The situation before that was really strange. Some DVDs would start to play with black picture if I would press play via my remote control. If i pressed play via mouse they played. But besides that on some DVDs there was a short transition of elements on the main root menu of the DVD movie, just before starting the movie. This transition was normally seen on my XboX that I had before my HTPC without a problem but on official 9.11 release it was not seen at all. Now with nightly build I see transition and there is no more black picture when starting DVDs by remote or by mouse or whatever. It simply works as it should.

best, d.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and strange problem with DVD playback...black pricture0