XBMC makes my computer squeak!
This is a really odd problem. A few weeks ago I built a "Hackintosh", which is just a PC that is able to run Mac OS X with very little modification.

Everything works well, but whenever XBMC is running and focused, there's a squeak-like sound constantly coming from my computer. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but I've eliminated a few hardware possibilities (see below). It starts immediately when XBMC fully launches and ends as soon as XBMC is closed.

Things that stop the squeaking:
- Opening dashboard
- Opening Expose
- Hitting F11 to expose the desktop.
- XBMC doing a lot of processing (opening a folder with thousands of images)
- Closing XBMC

Hardware-related changes that did not help:
- Changing the video card
- Changing hard drives
- Unplugging every fan in the case except the one on the CPU heatsink.

Running XBMC in Windows (non-emulated) does not reproduce the squeak. Running XBMC in Windows under Parallels does.

Any ideas? I'm stumped on this one. It's very odd and very annoying. So much so that I pretty much can't even stand to use XBMC under OSX, because it's constant noise.

Hardware:
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
- CPU: Intel Core i7 930 (stock speed, stock heatsink/fan)
- Video: evga 9800 GTX+
- RAM: Corsair 3x2GB 1600 DDR3 (stock speed)
- PSU: OCZ 600w

Edit: Wow. I don't know why, but going to Settings > System and changing "Vertical blank sync" from "Always enabled" to any other option makes it stop. Can anyone tell me why that is?
I had that on my G45, its hardware that have bad capacitors afaict. Nothing xbmc can do anything about unfortuanatly.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC makes my computer squeak!0