Converting MKV to MP4
Is there and quick and easy way in which I can convert my MKV's to MP4's without loosing any quality? I have a number of MKV files that I would like to be able to stream to my xbox and iPhone but can't as there is MKV containers. I know in the past you couldn't convert them without loosing quality (no DTS in MP4). Has this changed at all I have been out of the game for sometime. Also if it is possibly any mac tools to make the job easier?
Mp4box will help you extract the streams from an mkv and repackage them in an mp4 without compression. This is a command line utility that you can script otherwise there is shareware software doing the same thing with a GUI
in any case to play on devices with lower spec than a mac or appletv you will need to encode at power profiles and bitrate unless you use a real time encoder to stream, thus being highly unlikely you will end up reencoding your files for different devices
Handbrake
Handbrake will re-encode the file, mp4box or other software will demux and remux which is what he needs in the first place
XenonMKV will repackage x264/MKV into MP4 (windows app) - intended for Xbox 360 but unlikely your iPhone will play them.

Nice GUI and can batch convert folders.
He was asking for a mac tool...
A mac tool would be better but I can always VM a PC tool. Sounds like there is still no way to convert mkv without loosing some quality wether it be audio or video. Some one just go and tell Microsoft and Sony to get there act together already.
As I said you can repackage an MKV into an MP4 as long as the streams are supported
As of today you can package AAC and AC3 audio into an MP4 and any H264 video or AVC
I am not sure that MP4 as format supports DTS
To remux use Subler or if you have to convert down for a device then you need Handbrake.
interceptor121 Wrote:He was asking for a mac tool...

I know Rolleyes

There doesn't appear to be one which is why I mentioned it was a Windows app.

If you need iPhone support encoding through Handbrake is only real option.
I didn't know about subtler but there is also mkvtoolnix and mkvtools that have a GUI
the issue remains DTS which not compliant to MP4
on mac the only option is to downmix to aac as a multichannel dts to AC3 converter is hard to find
interceptor121 Wrote:I didn't know about subtler but there is also mkvtoolnix and mkvtools that have a GUI
the issue remains DTS which not compliant to MP4
on mac the only option is to downmix to aac as a multichannel dts to AC3 converter is hard to find

Checked out subtler, looks really nice I converted a couple of mkv without any problems. The only issue left seems to be DTS. Would be class is subtler could convert the DTS to AC3 as well as mux. Does any one know of a PC app that can do both these things?

Apparently the MP4 spec now supports DTS but hardly any devices if any support hold DTS within an MP4
I do not although awhile ago I was using a Win tool called MKV Audio Converter with Crossover, which worked okay (direct download link). A little clunky to use but did the job.

Here's also some scripts to help do it from the commandline I stumbled upon. Have not used them..YMMV.
Starstream Wrote:I know Rolleyes

There doesn't appear to be one which is why I mentioned it was a Windows app.

If you need iPhone support encoding through Handbrake is only real option.

There is a tool that can convert .mkv's to .mp4's (or avi's for that matter). It's called mkv tools and can be gotten here:

http://www.emmgunn.com/mokgvm2dvd/mokgvmhome.html

It'll do other things for you also, like remove subtitles that you don't need/want or even remux tracks into a file.
Did I not say that onpost 11 of this thread already?
The issue remains multichannel AAC a typical MP4 audio format that no decoder supports

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Converting MKV to MP40