Quick-tip on how to catalog your DVD-collection
:idea:
i struggled with this for a while but this method works great to catalog, but not play my offline dvd library.
1)open wordpad on your pc
2)save your empty file as movie.vob
3)rename movie.vob as needed (eg finding nemo.vob)
4)ftp movie.vob to /videos (or /videos/offline dvds)
5)repeat as needed
6)in xbmc->my videos select the movie.vob then press the white button to do the imdb lookup
7)repeat as needed
8)switch view to titles, switch view to big icons
you should now see your dvd title covers for your whole library.
these aliases can't play, but it's a great way to catalog.
i'd love to hear a way to make aliases ask the user to insert the dvd in d:, but this works.
|-<Smile
i had posted a request for a script or to have offline dvd added a few weeks ago. i am currently doing the same thing as you are, but making the vob's 15 second video clips that say things like "insert disc 174 from folder 5" so when i click on it i know where to look. xbmc has to great of a db to not take advantage of it.
Sad 
(madhatr @ nov. 13 2004,16:53 Wrote:i had posted a request for a script or to have offline dvd added a few weeks ago. i am currently doing the same thing as you are, but making the vob's 15 second video clips that say things like "insert disc 174 from folder 5" so when i click on it i know where to look. xbmc has to great of a db to not take advantage of it.
how do you make your vob files that say things like "insert disc 174 from folder 5"?
:nuts:
really simple way to "note" what disc what's on, just add it to the title:

the movie name.dvdvid143.vob

imdb search still knows what you're looking for.

also if you're looking for a way to catalog all of your burnt media, look into http://www.whereisit-soft.com/ .
(prophead @ nov. 14 2004,23:33 Wrote:
(madhatr @ nov. 13 2004,16:53 Wrote:i had posted a request for a script or to have offline dvd added a few weeks ago. i am currently doing the same thing as you are, but making the vob's 15 second video clips that say things like "insert disc 174 from folder 5" so when i click on it i know where to look. xbmc has to great of a db to not take advantage of it.
how do you make your vob files that say things like "insert disc 174 from folder 5"?
:nuts:
you can just create a .jpg containing the text you like and then use some app to convert it to an avi. one very simple shareware app that does the trick is photolapse (no install, just an executable).

cheers,
luna
i used the movie maker included in xp.

i created an image saying 'please insert dvd' with the xbox font included on this site.
it was easy to do and i could get it to fade in and out easily too.
i also would like to have my catalog of offline divx's accessible from the xbox. my question is, is there any way edit the database to include a field for location or disk? i.e. press white button on a file, shows imdb info with a disk number. is this possible?
the white button shows the contents of the corresponding xml file, not the contents of the database. if you want a number shown you can just edit the xml and abuse one of the other fields...
cheers,
luna

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quick-tip on how to catalog your DVD-collection0