XBMC locks up when starting/stopping movies
Sometimes when I start a movie, and sometimes when I stop one, XBMC totally locks up.
I haven't been able to figure out if any specific thing in a movie (like codec or something) makes this happen, but some movies are more prone to cause the problem than others. At other times, XBMC freezes when I press stop, or when a movie is finished and it should stop by itself.

Since xbmc doesn't actually crash, there's no crashlog I can look at.
I had the latest stable ppa until 10 minutes ago, and then there was absolutely no clues to what was happening when this went on, I even tried strace'ing it, and it was just frozen.
However, I just got the latest svn ppa installed, and now I get a windows saying "Busy...
Please wait" when a movie freezes at start up, and strace shows me that somethings happening (although what, I'm not sure).

Where can I even begin to search for the error here?
I've tried several different skins, and movies of all codecs seem to be affected, I don't really know how to move on from here..
Ok, this has gotten a lot worse since yesterday. Now xbmc hangs pretty much every time I try to start a movie. This is horrible. :/
I really have no idea what I can do to fix this. I tried moving ~/.xbmc and rescanning my movie database with all the default settings, but that doesn't change anything. I have no idea what to try any more.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655
Yeah sorry..

XBMC version: 9.11+svn28256-karmic1
Dist: Mythbuntu 9.10 Karmic
Arch: i686
Kernel: 2.6.31-16-generic
Install method: PPA
Debug log: http://pastebin.com/LHQUXL6N

I'm not sure what more info I can give. Like I said before, it seems to happen on all kinds of codecs. I've tried DVDs (on ISO), 720p matroska files and Xvid's, they all freeze. I've also tried both VDPAU and software rendering, same results on both rendering methods.
Most movies lose sound after ~20 seconds, and then freeze completely after ~30 seconds.
Ok, I guess I'm one step closer to a solution.

This only happens when I'm in Movies. It doesn't matter if I run in library mode or not, but whenever I go to Movies from the home screen, movies simply keep freezing. This happens in any skin I try.

However, if I go to Videos instead, I am unable to reproduce the error. So at least I can play movies from there, but it's extremely annoying to not be able to use library mode, so I'm still looking to solve this problem obviously..
Having the same issue here when launching XBMC from MythTV.
  • Will edit to add system details when I get home although I am experiencing the same results over 4-5 SVN builds and also on the stable build.
  • Command in myth is "EXEC /usr/bin/xbmc"
  • Thread discussing this issue with no resolution on mythtv-users board here

When XBMC locks up, I cannot run a
Code:
pkill -SIGSEGV xbmc.bin
to get a core dump. I have to run a
Code:
kill -9 PID
where PID is the process ID from top. Also, the GNOME session only displays a black screen and will not switch desktops or respond to commands (most likely because XBMC was in full screen). It will not respond to the "\" character to exit full screen either.

This is most likely some kind of resource conflict. What can be done to get some information and file this issue as a bug report?
1st post so go easy on me,,,please

Exactly the same problem as original poster describes.

Searched for a fix and have tried changing sound output to analog and switching sound navigation off.

Still when in library mode xbmc will freeze either when I select a movie to play or if I press stop during a movie.

Its not every movie, like the original poster tried to find a link between file type but the xbmc is not discriminating against any file type and will happily freeze if its iso or mkv.

Strange thing is TV files are all ok - play, pause, stop as often as I want but it won't freeze.

Tried what the op said and went in through videos rather than movies and it works fine on all movies of all formats, although this is a work around its not a fix and library mode is half the reason for having xbmc.

I am using a Acer Revo 3610 with ubunto 9.1 running xbmc ver 9.11 r26011 with transparency v2.11 straight from boot

If there is anything I've missed that will help please let me know

Thanks
Sorted it, might be an issue my end but some reason if I put my movies into smaller folders and map the folders separately rather than the whole drive it works?

not sure why or how, took days of head scratching but thought I'd post for anyone in the same situation I was in.

1 happy camper now! :-)
Well, that's not a good enough solution for me...

I've just bought a new HTPC (an ASRock ION 330HT) and installed everything fresh, except the .xbmc folder (seeing as how rebuilding the database didn't do anything for the problem before I figured I might as well skip that hazzle this time..).

I haven't tried stuff out very much, but I've noticed that if I start a 720p .mkv-movie and let it play for ~15 minutes and then press Stop, XBMC freezes.
Here's the strace output:http://pastebin.com/BarVQgFf, and here's the last part of xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/qVHpgtJ4

XBMC version: 9.11-lucid2
Dist: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Arch: x86_64
Kernel: 2.6.32-23-generic
Install method: PPA

This is really annoying, I'm almost about to give up on XBMC after like 5 years of use because of this.. :/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC locks up when starting/stopping movies0