Clone XBMC Live HDD
Hi all,

After much effort I finally have XBMC Live up and running including my remote being set up. As this took me a few days I would like to clone the hard drive should I ever need to do a fresh restore.

Would I need to put the harddrive into another box to clone it?
Or can someone suggest some software or a method so I have a safe backup of my working install.

Cheers
nathanashton Wrote:Hi all,

After much effort I finally have XBMC Live up and running including my remote being set up. As this took me a few days I would like to clone the hard drive should I ever need to do a fresh restore.

Would I need to put the harddrive into another box to clone it?
Or can someone suggest some software or a method so I have a safe backup of my working install.

Cheers

Use clonezilla. Its a live system that can be booted from either CD or USB.

Here is a tutorial I Googled for you.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/free_...tware.html
If you need additional help provide some more details about your setup.

Do you have movies on this drive?
Do you have a swap root and home partition?
Did you choose the install option of "Use entire drive"
Is it a dual boot system?

If you just have a single partition and no movies I would suggest to image (not clone) the entire drive including the MBR. A fresh install of XBMC might be around 5 Gig and with the clonezilla default compression it might be less than 3 Gig. You will need another drive to store the image on. I use an SMB share to store the image so the backup is all done over the network and it takes about 10 min to back up and about half that to restore.
Thanks for the reply...

All my movies are stored on Windows Home Server.

It is a single boot system, with XBMC live installed with default options.

My main reason to backup, is it took a while for me to install and setup my remote (iMon rubbish).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Clone XBMC Live HDD0