• 1(current)
GPU video acceleration made possible by Apple?
Apple Technical Note TN2267: Xcode additions for the Video Decode Acceleration Framework

The Video Decode Acceleration framework is a C programming interface providing low-level access to the H.264 decoding capabilities of compatible GPUs such as the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M or GeForce GT 330M. It is intended for use by advanced developers who specifically need hardware accelerated decode of video frames.

Source: http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/t...n2267.html

This may be yet another entry way into hardware accelerated video decoding on Intel Macs, POSSIBLY even the AppleTV if 10.6.3 is pushed to the ATV OS in the future. The GeForce Go 7300 that's powering the AppleTV already supports PureVideo, we just need a hook into it, this may be the hook.

This may also be wishful thinking...
Philmatic Wrote:Apple Technical Note TN2267: Xcode additions for the Video Decode Acceleration Framework

The Video Decode Acceleration framework is a C programming interface providing low-level access to the H.264 decoding capabilities of compatible GPUs such as the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M or GeForce GT 330M. It is intended for use by advanced developers who specifically need hardware accelerated decode of video frames.

Source: http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/t...n2267.html

This may be yet another entry way into hardware accelerated video decoding on Intel Macs, POSSIBLY even the AppleTV if 10.6.3 is pushed to the ATV OS in the future. The GeForce Go 7300 that's powering the AppleTV already supports PureVideo, we just need a hook into it, this may be the hook.

heh, i was just coming to post this: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/22/appl...platforms/

seems they opened the door for vdpau type decoding on osx ?
Philmatic Wrote:The GeForce Go 7300 that's powering the AppleTV already supports PureVideo, we just need a hook into it, this may be the hook.

It supports a minimal subset of purevideo. Doesn't even do CABAC decoding which is in the blu-ray spec. Hard to see much use for it.
dan1son Wrote:It supports a minimal subset of purevideo. Doesn't even do CABAC decoding which is in the blu-ray spec. Hard to see much use for it.

You may be right regarding the 7300, but I am hoping that this will allow for video accel in the new 2010 MBP using the 320M. It'll be a perfect fit with the new audio over mDP support.
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M or GeForce GT 330M are listed as supported. C programming interface, looks pretty standalone framework targeting h.264 video decode only. Humm, I have just the testbed app for this.
The performance of the Mac Mini (9400M) is not so good on the Mac side as it is with VDPAU on Linux. If this can help to get better framerate of 1080p mkvs, that would be awesome!
davilla Wrote:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M or GeForce GT 330M are listed as supported. C programming interface, looks pretty standalone framework targeting h.264 video decode only. Humm, I have just the testbed app for this.

Davilla, does this new Apple API in 10.6.3 look like something that could ("easily") be implemented in XBMC on OS X and would it provide hardware acc. playback of for example h.264 .mkv's and VC1 Blu-ray rips?

I know you haven't had much time to look at it, but your initial impression at least Smile

Thanks
Martin
He is looking into it. Note the comment on the testsbed app...!
also asking for vc-1 support when it has been explicitly stated atleast 3 times in this thread that only (a subset of) h264 is supported is.. interesting.
Thanks davilla2 & 3.

Have a nice weekend Smile
Ayla Wrote:Davilla, does this new Apple API in 10.6.3 look like something that could ("easily") be implemented in XBMC on OS X and would it provide hardware acc. playback of for example h.264 .mkv's and VC1 Blu-ray rips?

I know you haven't had much time to look at it, but your initial impression at least Smile

Thanks
Martin

h.264 in any container, yes. VC1 no.
Humm, the VideoDecodeAcceleration.framework is only 48K in size suggesting it's just a wrapper to other frameworks. Otool -L under 10.5 surprisingly shows the other dependent framework versions are valid under 10.5. I wonder if with a bit of manipulation, this decoder API would work under 10.5 as well as 10.6.3. Lots to ponder Smile
Count me in for testing. (If there is something to test)
I would happily ditch linux in favour of OSX from my Nvidia Mac Mini. (working resume from standby using remote, long button remote press support etc....)
Z3rO Wrote:Count me in for testing. (If there is something to test)
I would happily ditch linux in favour of OSX from my Nvidia Mac Mini. (working resume from standby using remote, long button remote press support etc....)

Me too :-) Wondering if the RAM requirements would be the same, I'm still at 2GB on the 9400M Mini.
I'll be getting my 2010 MBP next week with the 320M. I'd definitely be in for testing. So far I've run and messed with XBMC on everything except OSX.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GPU video acceleration made possible by Apple?0