• 9(current)
GPU video acceleration made possible by Apple?
*** MediaInfo Mac // Plain text file report
2010-05-05 15:17:09 +0200
Information for File: killa.sampla.x264.mkv

General / Container Stream # 1
Total Video Streams for this File -> 1
Total Audio Streams for this File -> 1
Video Codecs Used -> AVC
Audio Codecs Used -> AC3
File Format -> Matroska
Play Time -> 23s 46ms
Total File Size -> 96.1 MiB
Total Stream BitRate -> 35.0 Mbps
Title (Tag) -> Avidemux
Encoded with -> Lavf51.12.1
Encoding Library -> Lavf51.12.1
Video Stream # 1
Codec (Human Name) -> AVC
Codec (FourCC) -> V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Codec Profile -> [email protected]
Frame Width -> 1 920 pixels
Frame Height -> 1 080 pixels
Frame Rate -> 23.976 fps
Total Frames -> 553
Display Aspect Ratio -> 16/9
Scan Type -> Progressive
Colorimetry -> 4:2:0
Codec Settings (Summary) -> CABAC / 16 Ref Frames
QF (like Gordian Knot) -> 0.680
Codec Settings (CABAC) -> Yes
Video Stream Length -> 23s 41ms
Video Stream BitRate -> 33.8 Mbps
Bit Depth -> 24 bits
Video Stream Size -> 92.9 MiB (97%)
Audio Stream # 1
Codec -> AC-3
Codec (FourCC) -> A_AC3
Audio Stream Length -> 23s 46ms
Audio Stream BitRate -> 448 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode -> CBR
Number of Audio Channels -> 6
Audio Channel's Positions -> Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling Rate -> 48.0 KHz
Bit Depth -> 16 bits
Audio Stream Size -> 1.23 MiB (1%)
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
yep, as I suspected, killa is a non-realistic video transcode from bluray.
davilla Wrote:Now that this has been out for a bit, how about some feedback.

For example, if you have any h.264 video files that have problems, I'd like a pastebin of the MediaInfo output. I'm interested in 1) container (mkv, mt2s, avi, etc), 2) h.264 profile, 3) h.264 level and 4) number of reference frames.

Would love to give this a test. Would any body be kind enough to put together a build, the nightly haven't been updated for a while and I don't really want to compile from source as I do not have xCode installed.
medicineuk Wrote:Would love to give this a test. Would any body be kind enough to put together a build, the nightly haven't been updated for a while and I don't really want to compile from source as I do not have xCode installed.

http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/
Ive experienced my first issue today. Ripped a BluRay with MakeMKV, format is h264, only plays audio with hw accelertion enabled. With hw aceleration disabled, it plays but choppy as hell. Build r29941. With Plex, hw acceleration also fails, but plex atleast manages to fall back and play it (choppy). Xbmc requires force quit.

Ticket 9194 contains log
Anyone else having an issue with an 50 fps Interlaced h264 BluRay converted by MakeMKV ?
Would a fallback notification osd message be possible to implement? Ie. "Interlaced / VC1 / Mpg2 sources not supported by VDADecoder. Switching to software decoding".

That way it people would know whats up when encountering these situations instead of leaving them thinking its an xbmc bug.
RckStr Wrote:Would a fallback notification osd message be possible to implement? Ie. "Interlaced / VC1 / Mpg2 sources not supported by VDADecoder. Switching to software decoding".

That way it people would know whats up when encountering these situations instead of leaving them thinking its an xbmc bug.

I'd like to further qualify that VDADecoder does not understand interlaced h.264 first. I'd rather not start tossing up OSD messages, that leads to an arms race with the various hw decoders we can use and it will get messy. XBMC.log will contain this info. VDADecoder should be bailing when it hits decoder errors like this. Will look into why it keeps trying and does not bail.
@RckStr, been thinking on this. I don't think the VDADecoder can handle interlaced, reason being the VDADecoder API does not give back any indication of a) progressive vs interlaced and b) if interlaced we would need to know if top field/bottom field was first to de-interlace correctly. ffmpeg's decoder does provide this while VDADecoder does not.

So I'm going to add a trap to exclude interlaced content, it's going to be a pain as I don't get this info from ffmpeg's demuxer.
Allright well its good to know whats causing this. I guess this isnt a really big problem, hopefully isolated to some european movies on region b blurays. So far I havent encountered any region b blurays of american movies with this problem. It seems that region b blurays of american movies keep the american video encode, and just add a few subtitle tracks and maybe some audio tracks for kiddie movies.

Anyways, a fallback would be nice. Plex doesnt crash so maybe Ryan has some Ideas?
RckStr Wrote:Allright well its good to know whats causing this. I guess this isnt a really big problem, hopefully isolated to some european movies on region b blurays. So far I havent encountered any region b blurays of american movies with this problem. It seems that region b blurays of american movies keep the american video encode, and just add a few subtitle tracks and maybe some audio tracks for kiddie movies.

Anyways, a fallback would be nice. Plex doesnt crash so maybe Ryan has some Ideas?

Plex does not hang because they are using a very outdated source code for dvdplayer -> dvdplayervideo -> renderer. The older code would bail if the decoder threw an error, the new code tries harder Smile Their code also does not handle byte-stream to bit-stream conversion and avcC atom creation for playback of h264 in m2ts containers.
I guess its all up to you then Smile
Davilla, what are the correct settings to choose and or select in the video playback section taking full advantage of this. Im talking about best refresh rate and audio sync settings etc. I currently have my Mini plugged into my AVR via HDMI (passthrough) which is connected to a Panasonic Plasma
Drifty Wrote:Davilla, what are the correct settings to choose and or select in the video playback section taking full advantage of this. Im talking about best refresh rate and audio sync settings etc. I currently have my Mini plugged into my AVR via HDMI (passthrough) which is connected to a Panasonic Plasma

That's very subjective, if there was a best setting, we would remove all the options and hard code. It also depends on how good you TV is a handling non-native video frame-rate. My several year old Westinghouse is quite good at handling 24fps video content even though it's doing 60Hz. So I run will all the special settings off.
Not wanting to argue but why do I not see these options in other media players. Like the WD TV Live and Popcorn players. I know what im asking is subjective. Im just a mere mortal end user. I have mixed media that I play and these other players play them fine on the same AVR-TV set. My TV I can set in MacOSX 10.6.3 to 24Hz, 50 or 60.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GPU video acceleration made possible by Apple?0