• 10(current)
GPU video acceleration made possible by Apple?
Not all Tv`s or projectors will accept 24p so automatically playing back the file at the source refresh rate would have caused alot of problems for alot of people. Im guessing that if the WD TV Live and Popcorn players doesnt give you the option to choose, then its getting edid information from your TV and plays back at your Tv`s requested resolution/refresh rate.
Drifty Wrote:Not wanting to argue but why do I not see these options in other media players. Like the WD TV Live and Popcorn players. I know what im asking is subjective. Im just a mere mortal end user. I have mixed media that I play and these other players play them fine on the same AVR-TV set. My TV I can set in MacOSX 10.6.3 to 24Hz, 50 or 60.

Are you having a problem or just want to diddle settings ? WD TV Live and Popcorn players are aimed at users that are less discriminating than others and they also don't have advanced capability such as handling 24 fps content to 60/50 fps displays re-clock either. Most users can't see subtile video playback issues because they are don't recognize them as a deficiency.

Again, these XBMC options are used to solve issues that might occur in trying to achieve playback nirvana. If you don't see any playback issues, then there's no need to diddle the settings from their defaults.
RckStr Wrote:Not all Tv`s or projectors will accept 24p so automatically playing back the file at the source refresh rate would have caused alot of problems for alot of people. Im guessing that if the WD TV Live and Popcorn players doesnt give you the option to choose, then its getting edid information from your TV and plays back at your Tv`s requested resolution/refresh rate.

edid information from your TV is often very wrong and cannot be trusted. This is a well known issue with automatically grabbing the edid info and making decisions based on that info. Bad things happen.
Im very much aware of that. edid is a bag of hurt. Nevertheless, its commonly used. Mac minis use it aswell. Which is why using them in htpc setups through a reciever can be a pain in the ass. Had to resort to gefens dvi detective myself.

Regardless of that, if the players mentioned above does not offer adjustability, edid information is likely the reason.

This thread is getting off topic though.
What are the Default settings when enabling the VDA Decoder option? Should all other options be disabled like the audio sync to video parts so its just as is. What would you try or start with in regards to TV refresh rate and video settings in XBMC. Im trying to find the best playback settings for my current hardware so as I keep trying the latest SVN builds I can tell if something borks or improves. I have never been able to get (to me) consistent and smooth playback across my various format media collection using the release version and SVN nightlies.
Anybody know what's this error mean? I cannot get VDADecoder work.

Thanks

Open - VDADecoder Codec failed to open, status(-12470), profile(100), level(41)
Noodle Wrote:Anybody know what's this error mean? I cannot get VDADecoder work.

Thanks

Open - VDADecoder Codec failed to open, status(-12470), profile(100), level(41)

More info needed, mediainfo on the file you are trying to play for example.
Noodle can you provide hardware info of your mac? Is it a 24" Imac with Geforce GT130? I have the same problem.
Noodle, mayday?
I have to say, it works on the new Mac Mini. Though i do experience some dropped frames, was watching Aliens yesterday and 25 minutes in and 310 dropped frames, now i do think to know what a dropped frame is but i can not say i saw the droppage happening.

All in all, im glad to be back to a new Mini, the XBMC menu doesnt quite blow the fan like the old one did (reason enough for me to get rid of it). It stays deafeningly quiet (to me), in menu, 720 play, 1080 play, it works great. I have to say, 1080 play also worked without the hardware acceleration, but the cpu regularly spiked over 100%(?) though then.

Also, back in the saddle regarding the nightly builds, i still remember (not always fondly) the t3ch releases on my xbox.

I have to say, this not being the thread but it is worth mentioning anyway, the (Harmony) remote seems snappier on the nightly builds, still not as snappy as the Apple remote but still, snappier is better.
Snow Leopard Graphics Update

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1083
davilla Wrote:Snow Leopard Graphics Update

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1083

Thats great! Or is it? Should we get this?
Did not help the problem unfortunately. There is some indication that running XBMC in windowed mode resolved the framedrop and I'd like to see if that works for everyone before I start looking into why.
davilla Wrote:Let me clarify, bitrate means squat. It's h.264 profile, level and reference frames that matters. At this time we know B,M,[email protected] is fine, L5.1 seems fine, not explored the profile limits. Seems to not like 16 reference frames but still looking into that.

I'm sorry to be dense, but I'm finding myself completely unable to figure out the magic incantation to re-encode an Xvid to a h264 that works with VDAdecoder. The quoted section above is as close as I am able to find with any information about what VDAdecoder will accept.

At this moment I am using the Aug 18 nightly build, r32894M. I have "Hardware Acceleration" checked. I'm on MacOS X 10.6.4 (with the recent graphics software update). I'm on a Mac Mini 3,1 ("Early 2009") with 3GB RAM/256MB video mem.

I am trying to re-encode from Xvid to h264 with HandBrakeCLI. I was using 0.9.3 (I think) and have just bumped to the most recent nightly build in order to get the latest bundled x264 library.

I have tried every possible variation I can think of to re-encode the video, but XBMC consistently reports the the dc is "ff-h264". Testing with some of the videos posted here gets me "vda-h264" so I know that, in thwory, I should be able to use the VDA system.

How I'm trying to re-encode the video (the "iPad" preset is new in the HandBrakeCLI, but I had the same results with older CLI versions with other presets):

~/apps/HandBrakeCLI -i test.avi -Z "iPad" -e x264 -x level=4.1 -5 -a 1,1 -E ac3,faac -B auto,160 -6 auto,dpl2 -R auto,auto -o test.m4v

This produces a file that has this MediaInfo video profile:

Code:
Complete name                    : /Volumes/TempMedia/sab/complete/TV/the_daily_show_2010_08_18/the.daily.show.2010.08.18.hdtv.xvid-fqm.m4v
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                         : mp42
File size                        : 134 MiB
Duration                         : 21mn 28s
Overall bit rate                 : 870 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-08-19 20:16:38
Tagged date                      : UTC 2010-08-19 20:31:35
Writing application              : HandBrake svn3482 2010081901

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 704 Kbps
Width                            : 624 pixels
Height                           : 352 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate mode                  : Constant
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.107
Stream size                      : 108 MiB (81%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 104 r1698 c41b8f0
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=29 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color primaries                  : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361

So - what am I doing wrong? I have spent more hours than I care to admit trying to chase this down over the last two days. I'd very much appreciate a pointer to information about what magic incantation I need.

Thanks!
dzm06 Wrote:I'm sorry to be dense, but I'm finding myself completely unable to figure out the magic incantation to re-encode an Xvid to a h264 that works with VDAdecoder. The quoted section above is as close as I am able to find with any information about what VDAdecoder will accept.

At this moment I am using the Aug 18 nightly build, r32894M. I have "Hardware Acceleration" checked. I'm on MacOS X 10.6.4 (with the recent graphics software update). I'm on a Mac Mini 3,1 ("Early 2009") with 3GB RAM/256MB video mem.

I am trying to re-encode from Xvid to h264 with HandBrakeCLI. I was using 0.9.3 (I think) and have just bumped to the most recent nightly build in order to get the latest bundled x264 library.

I have tried every possible variation I can think of to re-encode the video, but XBMC consistently reports the the dc is "ff-h264". Testing with some of the videos posted here gets me "vda-h264" so I know that, in thwory, I should be able to use the VDA system.

How I'm trying to re-encode the video (the "iPad" preset is new in the HandBrakeCLI, but I had the same results with older CLI versions with other presets):

~/apps/HandBrakeCLI -i test.avi -Z "iPad" -e x264 -x level=4.1 -5 -a 1,1 -E ac3,faac -B auto,160 -6 auto,dpl2 -R auto,auto -o test.m4v

This produces a file that has this MediaInfo video profile:

Code:
Complete name                    : /Volumes/TempMedia/sab/complete/TV/the_daily_show_2010_08_18/the.daily.show.2010.08.18.hdtv.xvid-fqm.m4v
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                         : mp42
File size                        : 134 MiB
Overall bit rate                 : 870 Kbps
Writing application              : HandBrake svn3482 2010081901

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 704 Kbps
Width                            : 624 pixels
Height                           : 352 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate mode                  : Constant
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.107
Stream size                      : 108 MiB (81%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 104 r1698 c41b8f0
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=29 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color primaries                  : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361

So - what am I doing wrong? I have spent more hours than I care to admit trying to chase this down over the last two days. I'd very much appreciate a pointer to information about what magic incantation I need.

Thanks!

Nothing you do will enabled VDA decoder on SD sized videos. VDA decoder is coded in XBMC to be used with HD content.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GPU video acceleration made possible by Apple?0