Video playback issues, hardware configuration?
Mate its been so long since I used any of the 2 builds you mention, that I couldn't even have told you that they had that option LOL seriously. Such has been the clamour for DXVA implementation that I haven't been near them for months.

If you've got it working in 9.04, why the need to upgrade further at this time, or are you going to be a tinkerer like so many of the rest of us.

I know you would like to upgrade to your computer, but the weakest link in all this seems to be your viewing platform and its limited connection options (eh 1). Might be more worthwhile to change the monitor/TV or whatever, before looking at the HTPC side. A change to a newer monitor/TV would, providing you buy properly, hopefully open up a change in connection to at least hdmi (your ati 5850 card supports it, providing it is that card - you didn't answer whether it was that card or whether you mistyped the card number).

I doubt whether there will be any access to the software rendering you mention in any future builds, with the implementation of DXVA. I think you are stuck by the limitations of your monitor, though I am happy to be corrected.

XBMC uses its own internal codecs and although it is a 32 bit application it sits quite comfortably with 64 bit OS'.

Mate I don't know how practical this is (dependant on Database size I guess), but have you tried completely uninstalling xbmc, including the xbmc profile folder in AppData. Then reinstall. I think we migth be flogging a dead horse at the moment, but I'd almost be as happy as you obviously would if the whole thing would just work. Lets know how you got on troubleshooting in safe mode.
Well the r28256 build uses DXVA, however if you could maybe link me to your revision then it may make things easier to discuss.

I basically want to upgrade it for various reasons, the main 2 being lack of native remote support (I don't want to have a tun of apps on here), and the fact that with each update there are going to be improvements/additions.

I'm in the process of finding a buyer for this monitor and looking at a 24" DVI one, although I doubt there will be any difference as DVI is still video only, it's just a couple of inches bigger and full HD (current monitor is 22" at 1680x1050). As for my card, it is the HD5850, there was never any question of me upgrading it, I only got it a few months ago at £210, and it wipes the floor with anything I've thrown at it (with a moderate overclock of course Wink)

The lack of software rendering in the future is worrying as currently it is the only option I have, however I can fully understand removing it, being able to offload calculation heavy processes to the GPU is the way forward as it's a significantly better number cruncher than a CPU, I just hope by then whatever issue I'm having is worked out (either by the devs of XBMC or by driver updates assuming it's a hardware conflict).

Using all internal codecs is helpful as it does remove the possibility of it being another codec that has been installed for something else even though I'm pretty sure I haven't installed any others.

I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled every time, rebuilding the database isn't a real concern for me as I'm happy going through the file browser at the moment and will rebuild the databases overnight once everything is up and running smoothly, that plus I'm in the process of ripping all my albums into FLAC so it'd pay to wait until I'm done. I've manually removed all profile data as well as any registry entries I could find that were relevant.

Safe mode didn't throw up anything helpful, due to the lack of drivers loaded XBMC wouldn't even start so I couldn't test, I thought it may be a long shot but it was worth a try.

I'm about to dart off to bed (work in the morning...) but before I do I'll try the live disc once more as the video flickers much like 9.04, maybe with a bit of trial and error I'll get some form of output which is another step in the right direction, either way I'll post again at some point tomorrow with an update as to how it went.

EDIT:
Decided to come back on to share what I've discovered; basically the live disc works again if I switch to software but it also has a host of other options including basic shaders (not to be confused with the GLSL option), either software or basic shaders give video output, GLSL doesn't neither does standard or auto.

Just booted back into Windows (obviously) and had a play around with what I have on here, removed the old version completely (including regedit) and on a whim installed another OGL version, it no longer crashes and supports video playback fully when set to basic shaders, this probably means I'll be relying on the OGL branch rather than the official but at least it means I'll have partial hardware rendering as well as remote support, any suggestions to get DXVA up and running are completely welcome but it may just be the case of waiting and seeing, a lot of people in that thread you linked me to went down the OGL route and now it's no longer crashing for me I think I may take the same path until things are cleared up with the HD5XXX and Intel CPU support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video playback issues, hardware configuration?0