XBMC on apple tv freezes during playback - no screensaver active.
Hi All,

I have recently installed XBMC/BOXEE on my apple tv. I also installed NitoTV take 3 (manually) trying to get the apple tv to register external USB drives but this has not worked as I can not access usb drives.

Being that the usb external drives wont work I had to set up a media server using windows file sharing over the wireless netwrok at home to host the movies. Got a share set up to them in XBMC.

The problem is that during the playback of movies in XBMC after some time the movie freezes. Pressing menu does not exit the movie (but I can see the button press register with the light on the apple tv). I have to reset the apple tv to get back to the menu.

The screensaver on the apple tv is turned off (ie start in - never). The apple tv was getting hot (as it does playing itunes bought content which by the way works fine ie no crashing) and I have put a laptop fan cooler under it to cool it down.

I would like to uninstall NitoTV Take 3 to ensure its not something related to that (esp as I dont use any of the functions of it - they appear not to work anyway). If anyone knows how to do this (cleanly) please let me know.

I can play the same moves off the media server to other computers on the network without this issue so I doubt that its the server or wireless network.

Im happy (if thats the right word) to do a factory restore on the AppleTV and start over with just XBMC (no nitotv take 3) if that helps. Is it possible to back up the downloaded media via WinSCP and just copy it back after a factory restore? If so can someone tell me where the bought content resides in the directory structure?

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot/fix this problem?

Thanks,

John
I just got an appletv this week running 3.0.2 installed patchstick xbmc and boxee I'm trying to stream from my network as well.. It also randomly freezes when playing movies... I've tried 9.11 and dharma and same issue... Once it locks up the only way to fix is pull the plug or restart with - and menu keys... Anybody know what the issue is?? I've got a patriot box streaming and it seems fine...

It also doesn't seem to happen on boxee..

I'm streaming over a wireless g network
no xbmc.log (pastebin to http://www.pastebin.com) means we must guess. I don't guess when debugging issues Smile
davilla Wrote:no xbmc.log (pastebin to http://www.pastebin.com) means we must guess. I don't guess when debugging issues Smile

ok... i have no idea how to read the log.. put i've attached the whole thing.. i think i extracted the right one..

i'm guessing my file caused it to crash and freeze?? cause all those warnings and what not probably aren't right lol

http://pastebin.com/JrQV6XFe
what if you use the IR remote instead of the web interface ?
davilla Wrote:what if you use the IR remote instead of the web interface ?

i think i was using both.. but when it froze i tried to use the ir remote to exit the app and it wouldn't work.. i will try without using the iphone remote and see if it still crashes... and will post a new log
a crash is a very specific thing. it will generate a crashreporter.log and we would want to see that too.

a hang/freeze is not a crash Smile
problem went away when i stopped using the iphone as a remote but it came back..

i've had two random freezes in the last two days that required me to pull the plug again...

http://pastebin.com/UuZG2UMM

http://pastebin.com/N94h6hXv

i think these are the logs... please let me know if you guys can tell me what the issue is... could it be my apple tv is defective?
anyoneHuh
try the new beta3
I can't help with your problem but I don't think it's your unit because the same has happened to me.
I'm also a noob and I've only started playing with xbmc but mine froze while watching a movie the other night. I am still trying to determine if it's a setup or xbmc problem.
If I discover anything I will post my findings.
I'm in the same boat. I have successfully setup XBMC and have had no issues for months playing files from a local directory on the AppleTV. I recently CABLED my AppleTV to my 1GB Netgear swtich and I have a Seagate BlackArmour NAS cabled to the switch, both via 6e ethernet.

When playing from the NAS (via Zeroconf), the playback will be perfect for 4-7 minutes, then HALT. No crash. I can still navigate the menus, pressing "STOP" in the playback controls will cause XBMC to be come "unresponsive".

I have confirmed that the same file played locally doesn't have the issues.

I am using 9.11 currently.
after updating to dharma 3, still same issue. Lockup after 6 minutes (roughly). This time, absolutely unresponsive to remote commands.
williewonka Wrote:after updating to dharma 3, still same issue. Lockup after 6 minutes (roughly). This time, absolutely unresponsive to remote commands.

from xbmc.log

22:01:13 T:52110848 M: 13955072 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
22:01:13 T:54275072 M: 13996032 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
22:01:14 T:54275072 M: 13987840 INFO: CDVDPlayerVideo - Stillframe detected, switching to forced 23.975986 fps
22:01:14 T:54275072 M: 13991936 DEBUG: CPullupCorrection: pattern lost
22:01:16 T:54275072 M: 13721600 DEBUG: CPullupCorrection: detected pattern of length 1: 41708.40
22:01:28 T:2684407808 M: 13733888 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
22:01:28 T:2684407808 M: 13717504 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
22:01:29 T:54275072 M: 13721600 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for flip to complete
22:01:29 T:54275072 M: 13725696 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for previous frame

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on apple tv freezes during playback - no screensaver active.0