Better harddrive for XBMC ION 330?
I have this ION 330 Asrock.
And in it, there is this 2.5", 5400 RPM, 8MB, SATA-II 250GB harddisk.
And i have installed XBMC on it but i fell that when i browse trough my movies, the backround of the movies is a bit slow, it doesnt follow the browsing exacly. I think its becouse of the low Cache that the disk has and the low speed 5400rpm.

now i wonder which of these disks is better

A 2.5" 7200rpm with 16MB Cache
or A 2.5" 5400rpm with 32MB Cache?

thanks
nope, it has nothing to do with the CPU decoding the JPEG fanart. This has been resolved in SVN by switching the fanart database to DDS format (converted on the fly) which the GPU decodes essentially immediately.

-Chris
Whether your particular problem is related to the disk I don't know, but as a general principle I favour disk speed over cache size. In particular the faster disk will have a better (i.e. lower) seek time.

JR
cbrunhaver Wrote:nope, it has nothing to do with the CPU decoding the JPEG fanart. This has been resolved in SVN by switching the fanart database to DDS format (converted on the fly) which the GPU decodes essentially immediately.

-Chris

I didnt say that its becouse the CPU ? i said that the disk may be to slow and have to low cache to have "live" data.
Use dds images and you will see a significant improvement.
Yup. That was a typo. I meant that it has little to do with the hard drive specs and more to do with the CPU decoding the JPEG fanart. Again, going to DDS, you should see a big improvement.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Better harddrive for XBMC ION 330?0