HELP! External drives don't mount in Session/Live
Information 
Hey guys, I'm familiar with XBMC on Windows, but now need to use it over full Ubuntu. Since, I'm not fluent in Linux yet, I followed this Ubuntu XBMC guide completely and the setup went well. Only problem is whenever use an XBMC session/auto-start, external drives don't mount. I must log in to a GNOME session, authenticate to mount drives, log off and then log back into the XBMC session.
Is there a way to automatically mount external drives and make them available in the XBMC session? Thanks in advance. Smile
I think the xbmc usb mount does not work welll in Ubuntu Karmic when gnome is installed. If you install xbmclive instead it will work.
do this

CTRL+ALT+F2 to get to the terminal
Code:
sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
go to the line towards the bottom thats says something like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic root=UUID=9b0c3fbc-a8a8-4131-8dfd-05367a2c1003 ro quiet splash xbmc=autostart,noautomount,setvolume loglevel=0

and delete the noautomount
there will be two of these lines you don't need to do the recovery mode one

then press CTRL+X then enter to save
Press THANK USER if I Help
Exclamation 
Thank you AuXBoX. But i could not get the line you were referring to...maybe im doing something wrong? I brought up Terminal and executed the command "sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst". But there was no list or page to edit. Please advise, thanks again.
ok do this

Code:
cd /
sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

if it's not there and you want to boot straight into xbmc then install xbmclive
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
then edit the menu.lst file above
Quote:ok do this

If you read his question again you will note:
1) He is running with gdm not live
2) He has grub2 not legacy
The best thing for you to do is go for xbmclive if you don't need the gdm
I agree. usb mounting is tricky in this version except in a clean xbmclive,
tytan take a look at this
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=785263
It Works!!! Big Grin
I needed full Ububtu desktop and the ntfs-config application worked perfectly. Big thanks to AuXBoX & vikjon0. By the way, this might be useful for other Linux noobs, maybe it could be documented somewhere.
are you now running in the gnome desktop instead of the xbmc session? Didnt that work from the beginning?
vikjon0 Wrote:are you now running in the gnome desktop instead of the xbmc session? Didnt that work from the beginning?

No im actually running the XBMC session.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HELP! External drives don't mount in Session/Live0